What's new

V9 upgrade

Re:

jemmej said:
And, I'm being requested to find the Alibre Design.msi file? I don't have this on my computer!
Jim

If you installed from CD, it should be present on the CD. If it was a download, or if your CD is different then mine, the MSI (Microsoft Windows Installer) file may be embedded in the EXE file that is used to install Alibre. There are tools that will extract files embedded in an InstallShield EXE file. I use 7-Zip, which is free. http://www.7-zip.org/

The Windows Installer subsystem has an irritating tendency to prompt for original files you don't have easy access to. :-(

indesign

Alibre Super User

:lol:

My laptop update to V9 kept asking for my Office 2000 cd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cancled the first time and the installed stopped with error. Next time through I did the old trick...kept telling it to look in odd places until it gave up and continued.

bobster

The "automatic update" install failed, it got stuck looking for the .msi file like others have noted. I had previously checked the box on the Alibre support site as the email instructed.

I downloaded V9 from the Alibre site and installed it, no problems, it runs OK so far, but none of the add-ons were upgraded.
I had to download each and install them one at a time. Maybe this is because of the failed auto-update. They all appear to be working except for the CADalog version part library, this happened before and I can't remember how it became available via the Alibre toolbar, seems like it was a server thing????
Working add-ons:
Design Check, new license.dat file had to be installed.
Photorender, new version, remove old version 1'st.
ModelPress Publisher, new version OK
MechSoft Visual CAM Basic, need to request new key to get full use.
Alibre Parts Lib, OK
CADalog parts library, not working from tools-add-ons menue

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

Just a note to say that if you don't have configurations it appears that you may be able to open a part/assembly that has configurations and view each configuration, and use several differnet configs of the same part that a pro user has created in an assembly.
That would make sense given that all versions of alibre (including ADX)could previously open all albre files, but not necessarily edit and save them. (Though I never got an answer to my question about what happens when you try to open a sheetmetal part, or an assembly with a sheet metal part, when you don't have sheet metal!)
I'm not sure what effect your edits might have if you open a configured part when you don't posses configurations. There must be something unsaveable or uneditable about them.
So maybe you guys who "can't wait to mess with configs" can try that by sending eachother files with configs!
ADX v9 is not yet released it seems...

morto

Hey guys, there seems to be alot of mixed feelings about the v9 upgrade. I haven't upgraded yet - so basically, what I'm saying is, is it worth my while doing the upgrade?

Also, I've heard that it cost nearly $290 for the upgrade - is that just bad information? :?

MilesH

Alibre Super User

morto,

It doesn't cost anything if you are on maintenance. Are you? If not, which version/flavor of Alibre are you on?

morto

Thanks for the reply Miles. I'm currently on V8.2, with just the basics i.e I dont have the fancy dancy add ons that come with the more expensive versions of Alibre. Which is fine with me since I've no engineering type training or knowledge and I'm basically self taught in what I have learned with Alibre - still learning (one of the thing I like about Alibre)

But tell me Miles, how do I find out if we have maintenance? The account is under the companys name. Do I call Alibre, or is there somewhere on the account page that its mentioned?

MilesH

Alibre Super User

morto,

First years maintenance is, normally, included in the purchase - so if the license is less than a year old you're ok.

You need the Username and Password to the account, then you can log in to the Alibre server and check its status.

morto

Problems with the upgrade. OK, what does all this mean? :?

com.alibre.executive.Downloader$DownloadException: The operation failed, error = 404. (http://65.165.5.175/AlibreDesign_V9/rel ... MUtils.cab)
at com/alibre/executive/Downloader.downloadFile
at com/alibre/executive/setup/BundleManager.downloadBundles
at com/alibre/executive/setup/BundleManager.executeUpdate
at com/alibre/executive/setup/BundleManager.checkForProductUpdates
at com/alibre/executive/setup/Setup2.execute
at com/alibre/executive/Executive.checkForUpdates
at com/alibre/executive/Executive.execute
at com/alibre/executive/Executive.run
at com/alibre/executive/Executive.main

I sent an email to Support, but I'm expecting that they're getting slammed with emails today.

morto

Yeah, done all that - then opened Alibre while online. It found the V9 upgrade, I selected yes and then all that stuff popped up.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

You could try downloading from Support/Downloads page. I had to do that myself, as the auto-update failed for me, as well :wink:

morto

I tried it one last time - and it worked...whooohooo. Mind you I need to figure out the configuration thingy coz when i was doing the tutorial it wouldn't highlight the "insert configuration" selection. :evil:

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I hate to disappoint you, morto, but that's because configurations are only in the Pro version........