What's new

V9 - What Is Your #1 Enhancement Request?

rbrian

Re: V9 - What Is Your #1 Enhancement Request?

leeave96 said:
With the release of V9 coming, what is your number 1 enhancement request you want to see implemented with V9?

Here's mine: A visual indication that shows when parts / sub assemblies are fully mated, i.e., no degrees of freedom remaining within an assembly.
What's your's? Just courious!

Thanks! Bill
Bill - here is an idea - for Alibre, Inc. - to use this forum - for exactly that thing - set up a separate segment (I guess for V 10 now) with small separations for Drawing issues, Parts Modeling issues, Assembly issues, Drawings issues, BOM - etc.!

1-a-new-forum-segment.jpg

Items could be culled from existing forum content as well and set up as purpetual serveys - seeded from current requests?
Robert

demarchi

What I miss is a configuration manager under Assy.

The same components, assembled in different ways, with different molteplicity, and different constraints. Some of them present only in certain configurations.
BOM and 2D accordingly.

Massimo

macinc

I'm all for improving the intranet abilities and repository functions. It just doen't make sense that to work together on a design with a coworker, you have to go through the internet.

The 2D improvements would be next for me. If I could ditch ACAD for most of my 2D needs, that would be great.

I would also like the photorendering add on to stop crashing so much.

Cameraman

Repository

Sorry for the delay in my replies.

indesign said:
. . . Are you sure you need the repository in your company?. . .

"Need"? Perhaps not, but the built-in check-in-check-out and version control features eliminate the need for detailed manual or IT-based processes that would be required when using the file system. And while the automatic file tracking is somewhat unreliable, it is still much better than doing everything manually.

indesign said:
. . . But from the looks of the posts there are very few who have requested the repository change. . .

Alas, I suspect that this is because most AD users are individuals and not Engineering groups, and therefore do not require that functionality . . . which in turn sort of leads to the post in General Discussions regarding if/when Alibre will reach "critical mass" . . .

indesign said:
. . . BTW...where did you get version 9? As far as I can tell it is not released as of 12/21/05.

Sorry for my poor wording of that phrase, indicating v9 in the past tense . . . of course, I do not have v9 (and could not speak of it if I did) . . . but my understanding is that v9 does not address the respository sharing . . . however, I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong!

Regards,
Greg :D

rbrian

Re:

Cameraman said:
I will chime again for the easily sharable repositories located on local servers :idea: . We have been trying to make AD work here at our small company for the past 18 months, but we are continually hamstrung by this glaring lack of collaborative functionality, and we have therefore been unable to complete the transition to AD. ....
Regards,
Greg :D

p.s., yes, we have even considered the idea of buying an extra seat of AD which would be always logged in as the repository administrator, but there is something really inappropriate about having to spend $1500 plus the $445 annual maintenance fee to obtain that functionality, and I just cannot bring myself to do it . . .
Just wondering...Looking at my V7 Manual - Pg. 345 'Running Alibre Design as a Service' - is this what you mean by having and 'extra license' for ??? Would in not be possible to assign sharing within windows - to the actual folder in AD Repositories?

>> C:\\Documents and Settings\\Chief\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\rbrian\\Repositories <<
Substitute your User Name for 'Chief' (Administrator)

Robert

HaroldL

Alibre Super User

:idea: How about a user adjustable hot zone for the cursor and or a larger cursor? And icons that change size according to the resolution?

I'd like to be able to run my system at 1280 x 1024 but the cursor is just too small at that resolution. I know Alibre recommends 1024 x 768, but on a larger monitor it starts to look like you are drawing with crayons :) and it can be tough to select points during sketching.

:idea: Here's another one for sheet metal...A user setting for the corner command that would let the user set the corner gap. (Ala Solidworks)

HaroldL

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

HaroldL said:
:idea: How about a user adjustable hot zone for the cursor and or a larger cursor? And icons that change size according to the resolution?

I'd like to be able to run my system at 1280 x 1024 but the cursor is just too small at that resolution. I know Alibre recommends 1024 x 768, but on a larger monitor it starts to look like you are drawing with crayons :) and it can be tough to select points during sketching.
HaroldL

Harold,

I run a 20" monitor at 1600x1200, this is a pretty standard CAD set-up, now - the toolbar icons are a bit on the small size for this....... So, I second your "variable icon size" proposal (it shouldn't be automatically linked to screen res., though).

By the way, beware that 1280X1024 is a different aspect ratio, so that on a monitor with a standard 4:3 aspect ratio, things get distorted (or you waste screen estate!):wink:

Miles

s_mech

high priority (short) wishlist based on wasted time

What do I resent spending my time on every session?

1. Orientation: I like the SWX-style 90deg rotation by shift-cursor etc Should be active all time including while a part/assy is selected e.g. during Insert Part/Assy

2. See above - during placement, a pop-up choice of alignments of the incoming part's planes to the assembly XYZ planes - or could just step through them using <Enter>. 1st use of <Enter> wuiold then be like SWX default <Enter> placement.

3. Trying to snap when sketching. Need a biggish highlight on the snap candiate target as you approach.

4. Zooming to cursor - of course (see other threads)

5. Resetting View preferences every session: Edge Colour, Display Shaded & Edges to name but two things AD doesn't remember.

8) First Post - went on a bit!

ericle

I hope this doesn't seem out of line....

I really don't need any enhancements, what I really desire is for the prgram to actually do what it is suppose to do without
- Slowing down
- Locking up
- Eating up my memory and forcing a reboot

I feel that the program has a very nice degree of ability, it just needs to WORK.

s_mech

Hi Ericle
I am known to be intolerant of dodgy software but I am pleased with Alibre. (There, I've said it...credit where credit is due).

No offence, but I would suggest you check your hardware and drivers.

AD works OK on my XP pro Acer laptop and on an old W2K box. That has an old ATI display with a driver problem but that may not be Allibre's fault (the 1/4-screen problem - but there's a workaround).

It runs quick enough (not fast though, same as solidworks). Disk load/store operations are slow but if that is because AD is being careful then OK.

Good luck. As you can see there are, like me, a lot of people doing real work from start to finish on AD.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Eric's problems, if recent could be related to Alibre. They have had server issues that do affect your local application.

barryhc

Re:

ericle said:
I hope this doesn't seem out of line....

it just needs to WORK.

You have an awful lot of nerve saying "it just needs to work".

If Alibre spent as much effort improving their software as they did censoring this forum, something might "get done".

> Barry ( my suicide note )

swertel

Alibre Super User

:twisted: Not quite a suicide note, but what have you noticed as being censored? :twisted:

barryhc

I am terribly afraid to actually "speak" since Alibre may not respect the "fifth Amendment", which of course I am excercising.

Without going into 128 bit encryption, I shall use the "Shakespearean" version of "Bioligical Creatures that have a number of appendages equal to 12 divided by 2".

Thanks, for at least asking. > Barry :)

Zoom centering... bidirectional

Actually, what I would like to see is a setting that would allow you to seperate zoom in vs. zoom out...
Zooming in, I like the zoom centered on the cursor. zooming out, I would like to see it screen centered. Since AD had both, in one version or another, how about making it a configuration option?

My $.01 (can't afford $.02 yet)

Jason