What's new

Version 11 Preview

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Just saw the video for the new Drag & Drop Constraints tool...daaaaaang that looks nice. And it's got a Flip button! A flippin' Flip button!!!

External Threads!

Automatic Titleblocks!

Un-Sectioning Parts in 2D!

Dimension Alignment!

Better Part Dragging with Assembly Constraints!

Inferred Midpoint Nodes!

...ok I'm done getting my geek on :lol:

Adam_N

Looks like a number of improvements. Wonder if the space mouse issue is fixed :D

Midpoints here I come!!!!!!!!!
Please tell me color by face will be there!

The vault is based on M-Files (http://www.m-files.com) document control system if anyone wants to read up on it. Hey, why reinvent the wheel when someone has figured out.

I am holding out great hope that we are on a regular major improvement track.

swertel

Alibre Super User
Yes, M-Files is very nice, and it works with files outside of Alibre as well. If you don't have a document management application in place, this one may be a decent de facto.

CGN

What about performance? it shows some graphics for the improved speed but any beta testers can let us know if there is a true improvement

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Many appealing new features indeed; but I guess Sheetmetal Users will have to be content with Sheetmetal 6.0 for yet another release ...I saw NO mention of Sheetmetal at all.

I'm Not asking for much...

....a mirror command. I'd settle for a non parametric one

....A button to reverse the notch in a less-than-full-width flange. They always go the wrong direction and its a pain to have to edit the sketch dims to reverse the sign of the dimension.

.... some users have asked for a louver function. Its not critical to me, though I do use louvers ....it's not a louver die situation so to speak

...and in my wildest dreams, a method to add bend lines to an unfolded part. This would be to allow conversion of my existing body of flat view prints into formed parts.

-Jimpulse

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Jimpulse said:
Many appealing new features indeed; but I guess Sheetmetal Users will have to be content with Sheetmetal 6.0 for yet another release ...I saw NO mention of Sheetmetal at all.
...and in my wildest dreams, a method to add bend lines to an unfolded part. This would be to allow conversion of my existing body of flat view prints into formed parts.
-Jimpulse
And in my wildest dreams, a method to add bend lines and break edges to a shelled out solid part (would have to be a solid made in sheetmetal or re-saved as a sheetmetal part). Allowing us to make the shape we need it and then unfold it into the flat view. (Just the opposite of what you had Solidworks had this over a few years ago. Very nice if you know how to use it.)

cherkey

OK my bad, I read that wrong, Windows Explorer, not Internet explorer, yes? Also, is it the server or client M-files, the client doesn't work on 64 bit OS...according to M-files tech sheet....

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Actually the Vault pdf says its accessible through a browser so its a valid question. Does it work with Firefox, and or IE, and or others?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Jimpulse said:
-Jimpulse
It seems that lately the the focus for Alibre has been on machining. Notice all the offers for the CAM package? Sheetmetal is, it seems, a forgotten effort. I think the last big enhancement was the Shapes toolset. Inserting bends on flat parts would be a great enhancement.

NateLiqGrav said:
And in my wildest dreams, a method to add bend lines and break edges to a shelled out solid part (would have to be a solid made in sheetmetal or re-saved as a sheetmetal part). Allowing us to make the shape we need it and then unfold it into the flat view. (Just the opposite of what you had Solidworks had this over a few years ago. Very nice if you know how to use it.)
From solid to sheet metal, I like that and have used it in SW. Another great enhancement.

HaroldL

swertel

Alibre Super User
Remember when Alibre made the partnership with Amada? We had all hoped that would mean some real-life, practical improvements to the sheet metal design environment. That hasn't happened yet.

leeave96

How about some real time saving stuff.

1. The ability to create and disolve subassemblies.

2. A visual indication of when a part or subassembly has no more degrees of freedom.

3. The ability to substitute a part or subassembly within an assembly.

I am really confused why we can't have the above. We have been asking for this for years and SW has had it for years.

Bill

Can't wait til I can actually get my hands on the open beta of Version 11 if that will ever be offered since I only use the express version,really would love to see it in action.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
swertel said:
Remember when Alibre made the partnership with Amada? We had all hoped that would mean some real-life, practical improvements to the sheet metal design environment. That hasn't happened yet.

It looks like the sheet metal module and add-on is all we are getting, for now. One can only hope for more in the future..

HaroldL

Attachments

• sm.jpg
    sm.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 148

indesign

Alibre Super User
Remember that the main goal of this upgrade was the change away from MS Java. The speed improvements are both Solids and Drawing due to this changeover. Not that every enhancement request isn't important but Alibre had to choose what was next. I believe dropping MS Java had to be the best thing to do. I also have several things on my wish list but this is important for us all and we all benefit from it.

Porting to a new programming language was a major task in itself.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
indesign said:
Porting to a new programming language was a major task in itself.

And we still get a few new toys to play with. Although a button for Thinwall features would be nice... :wink: Sorry, I couldn't resist.