What's new

Version 11 Preview

I guess I would like to know how the vault will affect those of us working in a small office. Will that let me store the cad files on our company server and give access to all our users?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely! This is the perfect scenario for the Vault - multiuser. This is where the true power of the Vault comes into play. Everyone accesses the same data, user permissions can be set up, notifications can be sent when things change, etc.

The Vault was originally intended for a multi-user setup, though it also happens to work well for single users. The main advantage of the open nature of the Vault is that it can be used for much, much more than just CAD data. So, if you marketing guy wants to keep his press release for a product in the same area as all the CAD data for that project, and the Sales guy wants to quickly load a customer list associated with particular parts of that product, everyone can view and see the same data. Duplicates are eliminated, and everyone can access the data from a central server.

Also, you can access the Vault from home, on the go, or from another office just as easily as you would from your computer at work. (Some setup may be required regarding the network.)

Depending on how many users need access to the Vault, you may need to purchase additional Vault licenses. You can ask your salesperson about this when we release.

leeave96

How does the new vault handle renaming files?

Right now, I gather the V10 and prior repository has some internal character string assigned to a part, drawing, assy or BOM - regardless of the name we give it. Sooooo, when I change the name of any of the above, I don't have to worry about where the part, etc., is used - Alibre just takes care of it.

How does the new vault take care of name changes and keep track of where used issues?

Thanks!
Bill

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Renaming files is seamless. The Vault does not care about your file name - it relies on other data to ensure proper linkages.

rogpf44

Does anyone know if the 3D Publisher for Google SketchUp will work on v11?
I have been relying on this program for a specific job and I may not be able to use version 11 if this does not work.
I did look through the information on version 11, but I could not find anything on this issue.
Thank You.
Ernie

MikeD

Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether this version 11 marks the step from Java to MS .NET ? If so then I'm curious to know which of the .NET languages it is coded in ?

Cordially,

Mike Davies
Block-X Limited
<http://www.block-x.co.uk>

rogpf44

Does anyone know if the 3D Publisher for Google SketchUp will work on v11?
I have been relying on this program for a specific job and I may not be able to use version 11 if this does not work.
I did look through the information on version 11, but I could not find anything on this issue.

I called Alibre today to ask about this issue. They stated they would check into the current status as to whether the plug-in will work in version 11. Less than 15 minutes later I got a call stating that this plug-in will work in version 11.
In 5 years with SW, I never had such a prompt reply. Well, one that did not cost me additional dollars anyway.
Ernie

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
According to what ever the Microsoft is declaring on Dot Net, VB or C# or J# or C++(CLR) is going to be CLR code.
Then this is what is run on Dot Net.
So, it does not matter which language one use, now. :D

With Dot Net, you still have an option to use native API, too. Which would cause memory leakage if the function is nested too deep,for example, I am afraid. :)

edbardet

:D I could not resist this post. What goes around - comes around.
Back in the late 50's and 60's when we were trying to do miracles with a 64K machine, this was a big problem and garbage collection was a requirement.
Now we are talking about Gigabytes and it pops up again. :D

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Yeah I haven't been programming that long but I know what your talking about. Another issue is that programs are getting bloated. Partly because of redundant code in multiple files (dlls are supposed to fix that but anyways) and redundant code in a single file. People have more room on their drives so coders have gotten kinda lazy. Note this is not a shot at Alibre but a shot at the industry in general.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
YES Nate I agree.
Do you remember "Corel 4" ?
In ~ 1994 these were 14 x 3,5 "disks, now these are 3 CD's...

Dabble

For those of you that have the beta how she handling? Are the improvements as good as I have been reading about. Trying to talk my boss into getting my maintenance renewed so I can try it for myself lol.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Running much much faster in Vista!

2D extras that save time. Even have my midpoint snaps!

I don't use the Vault but did some tests and it looks nice.

Imports for newer versions of AC and SW files.

Much better DWG and DXF exporting.

and more

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
V11 is good.
Especially for larger assembly.
It is faster and getting somewhat closer to mid range CADs.

I cannot deny the space for improvements yet, but it definitely improved on performance.
No doubt about upgrading. ( I think....)

Dabble

Thanks for all the replies ,I am hoping my boss will buy my maintenance for me I want the beta so bad, I am hoping I can replace ACad all together load my templates into Alibre and let her rip lol

indesign

Alibre Super User
I haven't tossed AC but I also have not updated in 2 years :wink: .

With the full version of AC (not the LT version) you can get a free plug in to open even the newest AC files in the older version. Solidworks gives the plugin for free so you do not have to upgrade.

One of the big reasons we wanted to get away from AC was the upgrade costs were so high. :twisted: