What's new

Version 22 Preview - Update

GIOV

Alibre Super User
GIOV - the button Calibrate Size will allow you to click 2 points on the image and then enter in a dimension - that will scale the image. I did not show that in the video because it is still being implemented, but yes, you can auto scale the image based on clicking 2 points and entering a dimension. It is not a stored value - it is just used temporarily to find the right scale factor.
Some news regarding of this feature like Ref Point , Point in the image and point that integrates alignment and scale at the same time.
Thanks in advance,
GIOV

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
September 1st is right around the corner and there are still things that say "More Coming Soon..." Any info coming for that?

But it it concerns me more I haven't seen anything about a public beta yet. I'm not saying you should meet a deadline but rather that people don't like being surprised with business software not working after an update.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I hope the assembly constraints will be fixed? Right now it might take serval tries to get it to work with Boolean operations and on rounded surfaces.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
September 1st is right around the corner and there are still things that say "More Coming Soon..." Any info coming for that?

But it it concerns me more I haven't seen anything about a public beta yet. I'm not saying you should meet a deadline but rather that people don't like being surprised with business software not working after an update.
Nate, We need consider that we are in special circumstances due COVID-19 so only need wait trying to support the team for do the best for all of us especially for those who significant efforts keep maintenance up to date. AD need go forward. If not is real waste money and time.

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
To be clear I'm not pushing for a release next week. I'm pushing for public beta testing to be done with time given to find and fix things prior to a widespread release. The last thing I want is a bug or "feature" that prevents people from using it. Idk if anyone else noticed but it definitely got harder for me to sketch (pixel level precision mouse movements) in the new graphics mode of the previous update.

slipstick

In your video about the traceable images, you have a 2D profile at set distances that you can loft into the hull. Is it possible to kind of reverse that? For example, in the image, the fuselage has several sections, but not one for every station of the real airplane. If you lofted the fuselage using the provided profiles, is it possible to derive the 2d sketches at regular intervals, to get the profile at the missing stations?

upload_2020-8-30_12-34-47.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
, is it possible to derive the 2d sketches at regular intervals, to get the profile at the missing stations?
Just create a precise section at the station position you want, then create a plane at the same point and create a sketch using project to sketch using the edges created by the section. Nice looking plan! I'm waiting for the new feature so I can digitise some of my old hand drawn model plans by scanning then tracing the frames, ribs, etc

GIOV

Alibre Super User
In your video about the traceable images, you have a 2D profile at set distances that you can loft into the hull. Is it possible to kind of reverse that? For example, in the image, the fuselage has several sections, but not one for every station of the real airplane. If you lofted the fuselage using the provided profiles, is it possible to derive the 2d sketches at regular intervals, to get the profile at the missing stations?
Yes,
You have two choices:
1.- Make the 3d Loft with the section that you have and apply precise section View in each plane of your intermediate section what do you wish and apply project to sketches of the curves or areas in each one;
2, Make a point data trough excel of every section that you know and later apply cubicspline function of the all intermediate that you need. After you make the 3d loft again with the 2D&3D Script points.
In the end you make the 3d part or assemble design into the 2D Drawing workspace doing all section in 2D with its details at appropriate scale.
I hope this help,
GIOV
Nice profile of the DC-3. Do you have the wings and their sections?

slipstick

Just create a precise section at the station position you want, then create a plane at the same point and create a sketch using project to sketch using the edges created by the section. Nice looking plan! I'm waiting for the new feature so I can digitise some of my old hand drawn model plans by scanning then tracing the frames, ribs, etc

So if I drop a plane at the location I want, I can project to sketch on that plane from the loft? I'll try that. I can't take credit for the plan - it was just something I grabbed online as an example.

slipstick

Yes,
You have two choices:
1.- Make the 3d Loft with the section that you have and apply precise section View in each plane of your intermediate section what do you wish and apply project to sketches of the curves or areas in each one;
2, Make a point data trough excel of every section that you know and later apply cubicspline function of the all intermediate that you need. After you make the 3d loft again with the 2D&3D Script points.
In the end you make the 3d part or assemble design into the 2D Drawing workspace doing all section in 2D with its details at appropriate scale.
I hope this help,
GIOV
Nice profile of the DC-3. Do you have the wings and their sections?

Sorry, it was just an image I snagged for an example. I'll try your first suggestion. I'm actually looking at maybe creating sheet metal drawings of the parts of an FW190 (I have some drawings for, including 2D profiles of some stations), or perhaps an FW200 or Go-244.

JST

Alibre Super User
It would be useful to know when the release is expected.

The last few have come during projects that could have been put off, and I have been afraid to update in the middle of a project, not knowing what the update may break.

JST

Alibre Super User
And All -- Please remember that such "schedules" are printed on rubber for a reason. [Murphy was an optimist.] -- Lew

That is so, as has been the case throughout my career designing things and managing projects.... if it ain't one thing it ends up being another. I have managed a couple of projects that beat the time line, but that's an exception, in general.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
One nice thing about more frequently smaller releases is that the timeline may slip, but it rarely slips catastrophically.

:D

GIOV

Alibre Super User
v24 - UI/UX overhaul with usability in mind
Yes new UI/UX AD needs.
"User Experience Design:
Process that is very similar to a science process. It usually includes research to understand the users, developing ideas to solve the users’ needs as well as the needs of the business. Once the solutions are built their performance is measured in the real and constantly tweaked to address ever-changing user expectations. Good UX should make the user more productive and easier for them to access the data and features they need — whether it’s by establishing new workflows or optimizing the existing ones, changing improving product architecture, making it simpler yet more powerful.
User Interface:
It specifically deals with elements you see on a screen and interact with, such as menu bars and buttons, are implemented. UX, on the other hand, refers to the broader concept of how those features support the overall user experience."
I would like you to be inspired by AD11.2
Regards,
GIOV