What's new

"Very hidden" hidden lines...

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
I've run into this issue before when making a Drawing print for an Assembly where a single hidden line that should represent 2 or more edges simply wasn't there. Was wondering if anyone else has seen the same or if this is something that's been fixed in newer versions? [/sad "not on maintenance" trombone]

I think it has something to do with the radius that comes around tangent to the surface of one of the parts where the line should be. One of our other product lines is a trailer hitch that uses two pieces of square tubing telescoped together, so I have a couple of models of the square tubes complete with radiused corners, and I see this crop up in my prints for those all the time. I'll turn "Show Hidden Lines" on for a profile view and it still looks like a solid bar instead of a tube with hidden lines representing a wall thickness and an interior void.

It's only when there's a tangent radius involved, I've never seen it happen when all the edges are sharp or if the radius doesn't end up tangent to the adjacent surface.

1.png

2.png

Last edited:

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Probably should've illustrated how this goes together. It's a piece of bent rectangular bar stock (ignore the little tab on the vertical leg, that's for something else) that gets a separate mounting block welded hanging off to one side. So the bar runs under the thin feature on the mounting block

3.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
V23 Beta ...

upload_2021-4-14_23-0-28.png

Although, at some zoom levels the 'questionable' hidden line is show as a solid line (I suspect interference from 2 overlapping hidden lines with the dashes not drawn in sync!), so something about it is still giving Alibre a hard time for whatever reason ...

upload_2021-4-14_23-2-6.png

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
@simonb65, that's a simple square corner, there's no undercut or anything (I know there technically should be, but this product has, like, farm equipment levels of engineering, nothing that fancy). Specifically this radius is what I think is causing the issue. It's almost like out of all the steps Alibre takes to determine whether it should draw a hidden line or not, the last one it checks is "oh, there's a fillet running tangent to a surface and he's got 'Show Tangent Lines' off, so I won't draw a line there", and just ignores all the previous steps where it saw two mating surfaces being viewed on edge as well as the inside corner you pointed out.

4.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Probably worth submitting the parts to support and let development take a close look at it. It is reproducible in the latest version and slightly odd behaviour in this particular case.