What's new

video card question

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
video card question

I am thinking to replace a video card in my desktop. The reason is noisy fans. I have several times lubricated them, but this only lasts for a month or two and then they get noisy again. I could just disconnect them.

But, I have found the following card for not much money. XFX GeForce 6200. I am thinking that this card may actually be an upgrade compared to my older card, GeForce4 Ti4400. The thing is, I know that my older card cost more (at the time) and that it "looks" more substantial (it has a larger heat sink with 2 fans, it is more complex looking, etc.).

I know not enough to know if I should replace my old card with this card. Looking for help on the subject.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I have considered it. And, I may end up doing that. Awhile back, I bookmarked a site that sold fans that might work.

After my post, I found a couple of sites that rated graphics cards. The one I was considering purchasing was not rated much higher than the one I have. Plus, the one that I have works (just is noisy). So, I am keeping my tried and true card.

I will try the lubrication again, this time with a different lube type.

I've never had much luck with lubricating noisy fans. Most of them are bushing type, and they make noise because the bushings have worn out and they vibrate. Sometimes lube can quiet them for a while, but it also causes them to attract more dust and get noisy again. You might try some dry lubricant. I had a proprietary power supply with a fan that went bad one time. I couldn't get a replacement fan, nor a replacement power supply. I cleaned the fan bearings out really well with alcohol and then used a dry lubricant similar to graphite for door locks. It worked pretty well.