What's new

Video Driver used by Alibre: OpenGL? or Direct3D? or other?

jemmej

Video Driver used by Alibre: OpenGL? or Direct3D? or other?

What type of video driver does Alibre Design use?

OpenGL?
Direct3D?
other?

I'm doing research for a new video card and need to know this.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE....do NOT post in this thread about XYZ video card being the best....that is not the point of this post. I am doing independent research and while I appreciate your enthuiasm for your awesome video card, your ringing endorsement is not what I need to convince my boss :) Thank you for your understanding.

Jim

swertel

Alibre Super User

It uses DirectX, not OpenGL so you are allowed to use the "gamer" cards and still get good performance. But make sure you price a high end gamer card.

Now, if you plan on running some of the add-ons, such as Algor's DesignCheck, it uses OpenGL so plan for that worst case scenerio. Alibre runs just as well on a professional OpenGL card as it does a gamer DirectX card.

https://www.alibre.com/products/systemrequirements.aspx
You can click on "View Recommended List" on the right column to view specific cards.

--Scott

A

Anonymous

I would beg to differ!!!! Alibre ran extremely slow on a Fire GL graphics card I had installed that worked very well with Pro/Desktop and Algor. Alibre ran much better on a typical Radeon video card.

swertel

Alibre Super User

Thanks for that update and clarification.

I tend to only run nVidia cards after being hosed by 3D Labs and hearing only bad things when it comes to ATI and CAD (ATI is great for games, though, from what I hear).

fostertom

Re:

swertel said:
It uses DirectX, not OpenGL so you are allowed to use the "gamer" cards and still get good performance. But make sure you price a high end gamer card.

I hear that the forthcoming Microstation V9 is to switch from OpenGL to DirectX, so is this a trend? What are the pros and cons of each? What's missing from the cut-down Open GL that consumer cards have, and which part of the system is it, that then runs GL-based CAD slow or flaky?

swertel said:
Now, if you plan on running some of the add-ons, such as Algor's DesignCheck, it uses OpenGL so plan for that worst case scenerio.
Are there any cards that run full-featured CAD Open GL as well as top DirectX? Looks like there could be a dual standard in CAD for a while.

swertel said:
Alibre runs just as well on a professional OpenGL card as it does a gamer DirectX card.
"
lenitech said:
I would beg to differ!!!! Alibre ran extremely slow on a Fire GL graphics card I had installed that worked very well with Pro/Desktop and Algor. Alibre ran much better on a typical Radeon video card.
Oh, this gets complicated.

fostertom

swertel said:

I hear that the forthcoming Microstation V9 is to switch from OpenGL to DirectX, so is this a trend? What are the pros and cons of each? What's missing from the cut-down Open GL that consumer cards have, and which part of the system is it, that then runs GL-based CAD slow or flaky?

Now, if you plan on running some of the add-ons, such as Algor's DesignCheck, it uses OpenGL so plan for that worst case scenerio.

Are there any cards that run full-featured CAD Open GL as well as top DirectX? Looks like there could be a dual standard in CAD for a while.

swertel said:
Alibre runs just as well on a professional OpenGL card as it does a gamer DirectX card.

"
lenitech said:

This gets complicated.

swertel

Alibre Super User

MS Windows Vista (aka Longhorn) has announced that the OS's new graphics overlays inhibit OpenGL and limit it to the virgin 1.4. So, all the new enhancements set for OpenGL 2.0 are not going to function well with Vista and 1.4 is going to be significantly inhibited. Thus, some CAD companies are switching to DirectX to be able to play well with windows. Others are working with OpenGL and other options.

Personally, Windows was never designed to be a high-end application OS. CAD should have never ported to Windows and I'd like to see it back on a *nix system!

I like nVidia QuadroFX series, but we're talking in the 1100, 1300, or 3000-series models. These start to get quite pricey compared to a GeForceFX 5000- or 6000- series consumer card.

Tazman3

I have a QuadroFX in my machine (1400 series). It handles everything flawless except the drawings. I have text and dims and BoMs that zoom all over the place and disappear when I zoom in and out.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,
JH

Tazman,

I was having similar problems with a GeForce card, but the latest driver (end of June) cleared up the problems seen in the drawing views. Check and see if there is a more current Quadro driver, if not make sure you contact Alibre tech support since they were pivotal in getting a patch for the GeForce cards.

mrgadget

I will tell you what not to get...

I know you said you didn't want people to start naming cards, but I will hopefully save you some embarrasment by offering some empirical observations.

3d Labs Wildcat series, and 3Dlabs Realism Series. While wonderful Open GL cards they do not perform well with Direct X/ Alibre. If you are going to run multiple monitors, remember to get a card with 2 chipsets or twice as fast as you need. I have tried about 6 different cards. Most work well with single monitors.

Jeff

Video Card Testing for DirectX 9.0c

I have tried a few video cards with DirectX 9.0c and have been looking at affordable cards for use on a secondary system as well as my primary system.

An nVidia 6600 card performs well, an ATI 9550 is also a good performer for a bargain price, and the ATI 9520 works with Alibre but seems to lack performance. The ATI 9550 seems to be the best value, and if you buy a version with a cooling fan, there is information posted on the web on flashing the card with ATI 9600 bios as the 9550 is reputed to be a 9600 with crippled bios. Actual manufacturer is up to your own preferences.

I am not touting what I think is the best card, but trying to simply report what seems to interest others in the past - how can I get into DirectX 9.0c economically, and what works. The ATI 9550 chipset has been a real value and provides good perfomance even on my slower AMD Athlon 1700+.

Does anyone feel the performance is better with the more expensive graphics cards? I am very happy with the performance of the $165 nVidia 6600, and impressed with the $65 ATI 9550. Make sure to use the latest drives on all, as there are issues posted in the forum relating to drivers.

I work with dual system on multiple monitors and feel it is significantly more productive than just a single system and monitor. I run Alibre on the primary system, and use the 2nd system for reference information and 2D CAD review. The primary system has dual monitors, and 256mb of video memory is nice here (vs. 128mb on less expensive card). I also use the 2nd system to test new versions of Alibre before committing the production system to the upgrade-well worth the effort given driver issues.

I do notice some performance lag on model rotation on the secondary monitor with the nVidia 6600. Performance is flawless on the primary monitor, and that is for whatever monitor I make primary (left or right/first or second). I have a feeling that it is DirectX and not the hardware that is responsible. Anyone have good performance on both/multiple monitors?

A second and third monitor is nice to move all those cluttering extra Alibre windows out of the way and still leave them open all the time. My 2nd systems monitor can be configured as a 3rd montor on my first system by using the MaxiVista software (some 60hz flicker), or just with a KVM switchbox. My favorite setup is the Main Alibre window on the center monitor and ancilliary windows on the left and right monitors. Turn on X-mouse functionality with TweakUI and window focus follows the mouse. 19" CRT monitors are cheap these days, and I am thinking about a 21" (as that is what I used to pay for a 19"). The one down side of LCD monitors is they have a native resolution, but CRTs function well at switching between different resolutions base on need.

Kirk