What's new

Virtual Dongle doesn't work...so I can't

KMoffett

Trying to open Geomagic Design minutes ago, I got an error that my license had expired. No way...but now no work. Flexera Support seems to think that it may be a "server issue" on their end as some people can connect and others cannot. I really hate this phone-home concept. I thought even if I used it without connecting to them it would run 30 days. :evil:

Ken

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Trouble is it tries to connect every time the software launches. A partial success can actually stop the software working. Server connections are much more troublesome than they should be! I'm currently dealing with same issue for a customer here....

Do you have latest build of Geomagic Design (for v16 that's 16.0.6.16496) ? That includes a fix for some of these issues.

If the problem is at the Flexera end there may not be much you can do except wait and try again, or they may ask you to delete the local licence file if that is in conflict with the server or in any way corrupted.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Ken - if the issue doesn't resolve, you could ask for a temporary licence file (these can be used to bypass the activation code stuff). Of course that fix only works 'til the end of the current month when the temporary file runs out...

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I had left GMD open earlier today on my home PC and started getting unusual login dialog popups that referred to some sort of Alibre server. They stopped when I closed down GMD so maybe it was related to the issue reported here. GMD wasn't in use at the time and I'd think once it opened successfully that it wouldn't need to phone home again until the 30-day clock ran out, GMD was re-started, or someone tried to open another instance of GMD with the same license number. Does anyone know under what circumstances the license manager phones home?

I'm at the 16496 build level, if that matters.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
RocketNut said:
V 17 Beta = license problems all over again (including the dongle which I use) :roll:

Its a beta... expect things to go wrong. :|

Just saying...

KMoffett

I'm on the current V16 build. They called back later and said they thought the problem was resolved. But, I would have to go through the license activation process, entering my email address and the license code....buried somewhere in my archived GMail. :(
The only thing I see in this licensing process is that eventually we will buy the software (up front profit) and then have to buy operational-time (ongoing profit). The Maintenance Subscription seems to be another profit center, when in the end we are paying them to help solve their problems.

Not a happy camper!

Ken

Jim C

Try disconnecting from the internet before launching GD. I have satellite service and when things get flakey I disable internet connection and then activate the program. Once in a while I get what you are experiencing and find shutting GD down and then restarting without internet connection works. Apparently if internet connection is disabled at your computer GD will try to connect but then continue running as long as the license was activated within the last 30 days or so.

Jim C

Jim C

Forgot to mention, keep a copy of your activation code in a simple text file for easy access. Then all that is needed is a copy and paste to reactivate a license. You may want to "hide" the text file if you are worried that someone may want to steal the code.

Jim C

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Jim C said:
Try disconnecting from the internet before launching GD. I have satellite service and when things get flakey I disable internet connection and then activate the program. Once in a while I get what you are experiencing and find shutting GD down and then restarting without internet connection works. Apparently if internet connection is disabled at your computer GD will try to connect but then continue running as long as the license was activated within the last 30 days or so.

Jim C

Jim C said:
Forgot to mention, keep a copy of your activation code in a simple text file for easy access. Then all that is needed is a copy and paste to reactivate a license. You may want to "hide" the text file if you are worried that someone may want to steal the code.

Jim C

Both excellent pieces of advice!!

In general I usually start up GD way before I go on the internet. Without a connection GD starts up much quicker. After about three weeks I make a point of going online before starting GD for the very purpose of re-activating the timer. This takes quite a while. My beef has been that I after 5 days I get a pop-up telling to go online to re-activate software that I have fully licensed and maintenanced til 2020 and if I don't then I will be locked out. A sucky attitude, 3D Systems.

I have copies of all log-ins, passwords, etc saved as word documents on all my machines. Makes the cut 'n' paste easy peasy.