What's new

Virus Protection Software

robdavis

Since I upgraded to V11.1 mid January, I have had a problem with Alibre often crashing/freezing, particularly when accessing the the Alibre Vault. I found the problem was the AVG virus protection I was using. Since removing AVG I haven't had a problem. I currently have no virus protection - is there virus protection program that does not interfere with Alibre V11.1?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Have used AVG with Alibre for ages - no problems witnessed here (maybe I shouldn't tempt fate!)

indesign

Alibre Super User
I am currenty testing Threatfire.

http://www.pctools.com

Doing good so far. I also have had a few problems with AVG but have found it is due to MS doing screwy things after updates. Maybe it's me but I think MS is trying to knock AVg down a few notches.

It is a good addon to other antivirus but I havent found what I liked in AVG.

BobSchaefer

I have to agree with others, have used AVG for years and have not had a problem with alibre that I would attribute to the antivirus.

rollin45

I've been using Norton for along time. Since I installed Alibre Ver 11, I get a pop up notice when booting, that Norton can't read "M files". I'm thinking the security on the M files or "drive" is such that anti-virus can't access the files. Apparently Norton goes on about its business, but notifies you of this, while perhaps some others choke on it. Thats kind of a guess on my part, but I figured I would report in on how Norton handles things.

rollin'

robdavis

BobSchaefer said:
I have to agree with others, have used AVG for years and have not had a problem with alibre that I would attribute to the antivirus.

ME TOO. I have been using AVG with Alibre for 3 years without a problem. However, the fact is that my problem of Alibre crashing/freezing was resolved by removing AVG. I don't know where the root of the problem is (Windows XP/Alibre/AVG). All I know is problem and one solution :? .

sigseven

Have you tried reinstalling AVG to see if it still has the problem? Given that others are using AVG without problems, maybe the install had just gotten corrupted.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
rollin45 said:
Since I installed Alibre Ver 11, I get a pop up notice when booting, that Norton can't read "M files".rollin'
I use Norton 360 and I don't have any M-File pop ups.
What about your Norton software type?

Also, I can chat with the support anytime I have any issue and let them remotely control to fix the issue while I take some tea. :)

rollin45

wathavy4 said:
rollin45 said:
Since I installed Alibre Ver 11, I get a pop up notice when booting, that Norton can't read "M files".rollin'
I use Norton 360 and I don't have any M-File pop ups.
What about your Norton software type?

Also, I can chat with the support anytime I have any issue and let them remotely control to fix the issue while I take some tea. :)

Very nice, the tea!!

My Norton software is : " Norton Internet Security 2008". I have the auto updates turned on, so who knows what all is there at this point.

The actual message I get in the little pop-up is:

Log File Initialization error: can't read M drive.

I don't have a partition "M" on board, however, the vault has labeled its files M. So apparently mr norton thinks I have an M drive. :mrgreen:

I did disable the M-files from starting up on bootup, as I do other things with my computer and sometimes need all the resources I can get. Perhaps this is why the files aren't read.

regards
rollin'

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I think the issue here is that the M: drive is actually not really existing - its more or less a link to software. Although I'm open to other's interpretations as well.

robdavis

sigseven said:
Have you tried reinstalling AVG to see if it still has the problem? Given that others are using AVG without problems, maybe the install had just gotten corrupted.

I have downloaded AVGfree and there is no immediate problem. Will report if there is a problem. BTW I was running a paid license of AVG previously 8) .

indesign

Alibre Super User
You may have ran into a Microsucks update issue. I had to remove and re-install AVG on 3 separate systems while other were never effected.

I did notice it was after an OS update and AVG was central to the conflict. My assumption is the MS update caused a conflict with a system tool AVG was controlling. Once removed MS could do what it needed. Then re-installing AVG everything worked fine. I have seen this in the past with both Norton and McAffee and have the sneaky suspicion MS was behind it. :wink:

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
indesign said:
I ... have the sneaky suspicion MS was behind it. :wink:

WHAT!?!? Microsoft causing a problem? That's just crazy talk, my friend! :lol:

At the risk of being made fun of (like that never happens), I seem to have a lot less issues on machines that I keep MS update turned off, along with a good firewall (Zone Alarm) and a good set of AV tools (I use Avast! for day-to-day stuff and NOD32 on a weekly basis). But, that's just me.

I haven't had any issue with Alibre and Vista at home-- UAC and UAC messages off. Our IT dept. at work has currently banned Vista from the company because "there were too many network issues". Of course, my opinion of our IT dept isn't always in a good light... :roll:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
JordanCClark said:
I haven't had any issue with Alibre and Vista at home-- UAC and UAC messages off. Our IT dept. at work has currently banned Vista from the company because "there were too many network issues". Of course, my opinion of our IT dept isn't always in a good light... :roll:
Maybe "there were too many network issues" between the neurons in their brains. :lol:
But seriously the only network problem I had with Vista is it couldn't detect my 56k Modem when I was still on dial up. I of course had to call automated support to activate. As soon as I loaded a driver downloaded with another computer it worked fine. This was not Microsoft's fault though.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
I've been using AVGfree for awhile now on my personal laptop and haven't had any major issues in general (i.e., not Alibre-related, I just recently put AD Express on my laptop). The only hiccup I have with AVG is every now and then it'll fail to connect with the automatic update server, so I have to go in and start the update manually. Still not a big deal though.

We had purchased versions of Norton on all our home computers, what a disaster that was. Not a happy camper with them at all; messed with a lot of our files, WAY too complicated to use, brought our cable internet down to a crawl, and right after New Year's my laptop still got hit out of nowhere with a Trojan virus.

After getting my machine totally rebuilt, a friend of mine told me about a program called NOD32 by Eset. He swore by it, and when I first got the 30-day free trial I really liked the way it worked. But all of a sudden it stopped updating and kept asking me for a license code (this was maybe a week and a half after starting my trial). I dunno, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I decided to toss NOD32 and put AVGfree put back on. It is free after all.

My computer-hardware nutcase brother just got done putting together his first fully-custom rig, I wanna say he's got AVGfree on it as well but I'm not sure, I'll hafta ask him.

My tower at RIVCO has PCTools' Spyware Doctor, dunno how much it costs but it seems to do the job pretty well. I have it set to update when I log-in in the morning and that seems to happen almost instantly, and it runs a quick scan around 3:00 just before I leave for the day. I do notice the system slows down a bit while the scan is running (especially Alibre), but not to the point where I have to stop working. Just try not to do too many complex things at the same time and it's fine.

Raymond

I used to use AVG but found it had quite a large footprint but never any conflicts with Alibrev10 I now use ESET nod32 on my machines
no conflicts with Either Alibre or Siemens Solidedge ST.
Regards,
Raymond.