What's new

Visual Indication Part is Fully Constrained

leeave96

Maybe I'm looking straight at it...

Is there some visual indication an assembly's parts tree that components are fully constrained?

I know if I incorrectly mate a part, I see red, but no indication if a part is fully constrained.

On another note - while I'm typing...

Is it correct that an unregistered/non-trial installation of Alibre can be used as a viewer? I have a client that wants to see some 3D models, spin them around, etc - like an eDrawing in Solidworks, just not edit.

Thanks!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, after trial has expired, an unregistered install of Alibre Design will act as a viewer.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Is there some visual indication an assembly's parts tree that components are fully constrained?

I don't think so. How would the software know what you wanted constrained and not constrained? e.g. constrained in 2 directions but free to
move in the third, by design.

leeave96

I don't think so. How would the software know what you wanted constrained and not constrained? e.g. constrained in 2 directions but free to
move in the third, by design.

I don't know. Solidworks has the capability (which I use in my day job) - somehow - to show you if each part/assembly is fully constrained. It is a most handy feature.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I would like something that prodesktop had years ago. When a sketch is properly closed the internal area would get a fill colour. Instant awareness if a sketch was right before trying to create a feature from it.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I like that idea. As it is now, when the feature fails I always launch "Analyze". So, how about this...
When the sketch is supposedly ready for a feature instead of clicking on extrude or whatever, you click on the "Select" arrow and that will close
the sketch... and then it will launch "Analyze" of the current sketch. If all is OK it will will say so, and if not, it will list the problems and you can
go ahead and fix them. That may be easier to implement than a color. Don't really know, not being a programmer and all.
And finally you close "Analyze" and continue on with the extrude.

JST

Alibre Super User
The lines already change color in a sketch when they are fully constrained....... I don;t see that changing a fill color would add anything much to the functionality.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
a sketch was right before trying to create a feature from it.

To me, that means that it will extrude. DOF won't tell you that. For example, extrude the attached sketch.

Attachments

• DOF vs Feature.AD_PRT
    230 KB · Views: 3

kerickson

Turn on "Automatically analyze sketch" in the system options and it will tell you before you close your sketch or extrude the sketch that there are problems.

Ken

The issue here really boils down to "How much constraint is required?" When I (say) have a "shaft" that should rotate it is often constrained for (longitudinal) position and concentricity only. [Not that I do not often creat a (if you will) "zero position alignment" that gets Suppressed in except when "zero alignment" needs to be re-established.] Which version should be considered "fully constrained?"