What's new

WAAAY off topic: Requesting homework help from the U.K.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
I don't normally start an off-topic post, but this is something that could combine my daughter's homework with a bit of family history.

My eleven-year-old daughter's class have a "Nation Notebook" assignment. They drew names of countries out of a hat and create a report about it over the course of the school year. She drew-- you may have guessed it already-- England.

Anyway, looking over old family "archives" (read: a bunch of stuff in a box), she came across some letters addressed to my great-great-great... umm... one more great-grandfather, Charles Ingall, who lived in England. It's postmarked London, but what do I know? His son, George Augusts Ingall, left for the U.S. in 1836.

What I'm looking for is this. Is there any way (he asks hopefully, knowing this is an almost impossible task), I could get some more information on where Charles lived, if it's still standing and not a parking lot, attached is a scan of the letters. It doesn't seem to me to be a valid address anymore after 150 years, but I can be an optimist (which one of us said the glass was twice a big as it needed to be? :wink: )

I naturally thought of my friends in the U.K., possibly the most creatively resourceful people I know! That's right, I'm firing up the flattery! :lol:

Any help, even to say it can't be done, is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 120

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Jordan,

I'll see what I can find out. It could be what is now "Clapham Manor Street" in London. There is also a Clapham village in Bedfordshire....

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
From reading the article it sounds like your dad's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad was living in a pretty hoity-toity neighborhood, Jordan! :mrgreen:

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Dulwich, Wandsworth, Camberwell, Chiswick, Houndslow, Paddington...now I see why the Harry Potter stories sound the way they do :lol:

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
wathavy4 said:
I just cannot imagine how one can find any place.... 8)
Toshi, if you want to see a town that's REALLY screwed up, do a search for "Hot Springs Village, AR" in the USA. My late grandparents lived there for awhile before they passed away, how they got around in the era before GPS navigation, I'll NEVER know

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
OTE_TheMissile said:
wathavy4 said:
I just cannot imagine how one can find any place.... 8)
Toshi, if you want to see a town that's REALLY screwed up, do a search for "Hot Springs Village, AR" in the USA. My late grandparents lived there for awhile before they passed away, how they got around in the era before GPS navigation, I'll NEVER know
Uhm, I could see some what like this.. But the search result was 444,000 hits. :mrgreen:

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Have a look on Google

And hilly, oh man, such good news it doesn't snow much down there, they'd be pulling people out of the ditch all winter :shock:

Attachments

• hotspringsvillage.JPG
    hotspringsvillage.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 117

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
Re: Homework Success!

Many thanks to everyone who helped out. The project is done (a big sigh of relief at our house-- at least until the other child has to do this thing!).

As a side note, the address still exists-- next door to the clinic I told you about earlier. Unfortunately the house was torn down and a new one built about thirty years ago. Ah, the price of progress!