What's new

Want to know interest in Custom API Development

Want to know interest in Custom API Development

Now that the API will allow us to enhance Alibre on our own - What enhancements are YOU interested in and what are your priorities?

HOW are we going to accomplish these enhancements? My VB programming skills are crude but progressing, but after spending many hours developing some enhancement, I would like to charge some nominal fee to cover my time (or at least pay my maintenance). I would like to donate what I have written, but life demands a more realistic approach. Other than small projects, I personally do not have time to develop programs. What are your ideas on compensating those among us willing to share their work.

I have already explored enhancement development by an experienced programmer, but that can be financially prohibitive unless there a number of us willing to go together to share the costs. This may be the best option for larger projects. Is anyone interested in shared cost development. If we get enough interest, the cost per person will be quite affordable. What of cost recovery afterward too? The investors could invest at different levels for source code, or executable only. And the software executables could then be offered to others to recover the initial investment. That is where a forum excels, getting users together.

Where to advertise what has been created? I personally do not want to turn this forum into a marketing vehicle. Maybe a posting in the API section, or a whole new catagory for Services and Applications. The new catagory would allow consultants and others to post ALIBRE RELATED offerings, and you could enter knowing full well what is in that forum section.

I would like to START OFF the discussion with one of my main interests - Ability to change the pathname of a linked spreadsheet. You can copy a template model and save it to a new location for modifications, but you can not move the linked spreadsheet without having to relink it. I would like a program developed to change the pathname links so that the spreadsheet can move too, and all the links be changed at once. This would be great for parts created off a standard "library or template" part.

Anyone interested in joining with me to underwrite the cost of a programmer developing this application? I would be willing to coordinate project specifications and development with email communication among the investment group. Are others willing to undertake similar projects?

Of course any development could be made moot with the incorporation of that feature into Alibre itself. But, then again what projects are worth that risk, or just worth having them done OUR way.

FEEDBACK PLEASE - ANYONE HAVE PROJECT, IDEAS OR COMMENTS?

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hi,

Yes, there are features I need. I just haven't found the time to go over the API documentation.

I've done some VB software but have never taken a formal lesson, so before I spend long hours going over the manuals, I am waiting to see what someone else can do.

Stuff I would need:

1) Pipe making module.
2) An app that aligns certain parts to a pipe and rezizes them in a certain way (hard to describe in more detail)