What's new

Wantedto update to newer version.. Wow, website unhelpful

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I know that most people don't like being forced into a higher maintenance bracket but the difference in capability between GDE and GD (Pro and Expert when I did the switch) a huge step forward for me. Configurations alone made it all worthwhile, the rest was icing on the cake! Just saying...

JST

Alibre Super User
I am pretty much OK with the higher maintenance.... getting the sheetmetal, and native SWX export will be a big advantage.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get V16. Would have been a lot easier if I had got serious about that a few weeks ago prior to the release of V17......

if and when I move to Win 7 for the main CAD machine (I already have win 8.1 of tablets, etc) I guess I can then move to a 64bit version.... Didn't 16 have both, and 17 is only 64?

Just hoping there is no catch to this "something for nothing" deal..... I already got bit once when I *thought* I had opted for "translate", but had gotten the "enhanced I/O" instead, which did some, but not all of the things 'translate" did.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
V16 has 32 & 64 bit installers. Your reseller or Geomagic can give you links to the downloads.

v17 offers 64bit installer by default, 32bit installer is available on request. Again just ask your reseller.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
JST said:
I am pretty much OK with the higher maintenance.... getting the sheetmetal, and native SWX export will be a big advantage.
Exported SW files are dumb solids. SW will still need to use its feature recognition function :!:

JST

Alibre Super User
So basically the same as a STEP file?

Oh, well.

At least they will have the coveted suffix..... and make people happy that they are getting "real, professional grade" files, instead of "hokey conversion files files from some hobby software that a hick is trying to use in business".

Yes, unfortunately, that seems to still be how AD/GD is viewed in many places.

Fx.CAD

TylerDurden said:
JST said:
...the idea of "something for nothing".... That concept takes a lot of verification for me to believe in it! :mrgreen:

Yes, so far so good..... I was AD-PE and was earlier upgraded to GDE with two seats, keyshot and MoI, in addition to my translate & extended I/O.

I will be upgraded to GD with mesh and sheet metal, all the team stuff (which I will not need).

If my maintenance goes from 299 to 399, I will not be thrilled, but if I have two active seats I can live with that.

I asked my reseller, only one seat gets the upgrade... Give something and take it away a year later. ( still remembering the 5! installs of Alibre Design V10)

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
So basically the same as a STEP file?

Oh, well.
At least they will have the coveted suffix..... and make people happy that they are getting "real, professional grade" files, instead of "hokey conversion files files from some hobby software that a hick is trying to use in business".

It was my understanding that while, yes,the SW export is still a dumb solid like a STEP file, that the export files with sldasm & sldprt behave better with SW than STEP part and assemblies. This is due to SW's interpretation of the STEP standard.

Does anyone know if the SW files generated by PTC/Creo and inventor keep the feature tree or are they less dumb than a SW file generated by GM? It was my impression that they may be dumb too, but things could have changed. Unfortunately, software publishers use file incompatibilities as a customer retention tool.

JST

Alibre Super User
Well, I have gotten appropriate (I hope) codes for V16 from GD/Flexera. They were really curious why I wanted V16 and not V17, I opted not to explain about XP..... didn't want to open that can of worms.

Gonna pull the trigger shortly today, since my CAD work is not super hot... I think I got all the drawings and files off to vendors for the moment.. The rest of it is personal stuff for my own shop, and that can stand some delay (although I would not like it). All I have going there that is at all hot is figuring out how to put a DRO system on one of the mills. Just got the reader head and scale dimensions.

We'll see what version comes to me... "elements" or "design", and with what permissions/capabilities..... And of course, whether it works OK.