What's new

Way to copy lines, arcs, etc. to another layer in drawings for CAM usage

blamb11

I created a 3D part, then a new drawing to set up for using with Sheetcam. Each tool/operation needs to be on a separate layer. Currently, say I want to profile the outside of the part, then later use that same outside profile with additions in the chamfering tool, I have to dimension pretty much everything on the part so I can change layers and have to redraw the whole part to get the areas I want onto the next layer without messing up the previous layer.

Maybe a simpler way of stating it, currently it "moves" the line, arc, etc. to the layer I want, but that removes it from the previous layer. I would like to copy instead of move, is that possible?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Brian, some of the terminology you're using in this question is a bit confusing to me - not your fault - but I'm not quite sure what you mean by some of it.

That being said, I think I know what you're after. There are I think 2 basic approaches here. Both involve making multiple sheets.

Approach 1 is to project the same Top View of the model onto multiple sheets and then "hiding" via layers every part of the model you don't want on each individual sheet (aka profile).

Approach 2 is shown below.

blamb11

Hi Max,

Thank you for the reply. I am not quite following the project the same view onto multiple sheets. I tried that and it doesn't add the view in the exact same position from sheet to sheet, they drift as you click the mouse as to where to place them. Your second method made sense, and I tried it, and I ended up with each sheet copied into the drawing, made sure what copied in was then copied onto the specific layers I wanted, but when importing into SheetCam, I only got one layer showing, "holes", none of the other layers, outside contour, pocket, chamfer and slots came thru.

It is not possible to import the drawing, and then instead of "moving" specific sections of the drawing to the layers I want, which eliminates them from the default "visible" layer, but to "COPY" the section to the other layers. Just like we did with the 3D file, we projected to sketch, CNTRL A, CNTRL C and then pasted into the drawing. Could we select, then cut the whole visible layer as it was imported, then copy to the other layers, then like you said, go in and delete or add whatever drawing features we want to machine with that particular layer.

In the past, I have been importing to the visible layer, dimension everything so I have start/stop point for all the lines and arcs, then change the layers on anything that only gets used once, i.e. holes for example. Then move the outside contour to the contour layer, redraw it along with the slots and inside pocket and make that the chamfer layer, and so on down the line to accomplish the end goal.

I have attached the sample part I have been playing with, hopefully it will make sense to you.
Thanks, Brian

Attachments

• Servo Cover.AD_PRT
    543 KB · Views: 1