What's new

What’s the best software and settings for high quality animated gifs and screen recording?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I want to start creating gifs and good quality screen recordings for YouTube. So far nothing looks good. I have a 5k iMac, obs and camtasia 9. Videos look great on my machine but lower quality on YouTube. Any tips?
Test videos:

JimCad

As far as I know . . . Youtube shrinks everything down. I played one of your films and although it says it's playing in 1080 HD It sure didn't look like it.
I always upload 4K to youtube if I can.

Sorry.
Can't be more help than that.
Jim

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Thanks. Just wondering if any Alibre users who make simple videos had any tricks. I don't have much time to spend on making videos. I need to automate it.

Ex Machina

Stephen, I use shotcut to do some basic editing in my videos. Maybe YouTube doesn't like the mkv that OBS produces. Try importing into shotcut (free software) and exporting as mp4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Thanks. Just wondering if any Alibre users who make simple videos had any tricks. I don't have much time to spend on making videos. I need to automate it.
I set my workspace to 1080p with sizer before I start recording.1080p is a YouTube option in the sizer menu when you right click on the window border.
I record with Snagit and edit (add title and crop out bad moves, sounds, etc.) in Camtasia 2022. Seems to be working okay so far, at least for my needs.
YouTube always has a message about resizing the video when I upload them, not quite sure what that is all about since I recorded it in 1080p to begin with.

If I record an animated gif I am warned that it is best to keep them to 30 seconds or less. ???

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Stephen, I use shotcut to do some basic editing in my videos. Maybe YouTube doesn't like the mkv that OBS produces. Try importing into shotcut (free software) and exporting as mp4
Thanks. Those test videos were made months ago, I can't recall the process I followed. I'll spend the weekend sorting videos out.
I set my workspace to 1080p with sizer before I start recording.1080p is a YouTube option in the sizer menu when you right click on the window border.
I record with Snagit and edit (add title and crop out bad moves, sounds, etc.) in Camtasia 2022. Seems to be working okay so far, at least for my needs.
YouTube always has a message about resizing the video when I upload them, not quite sure what that is all about since I recorded it in 1080p to begin with.

If I record an animated gif I am warned that it is best to keep them to 30 seconds or less. ???
Thanks. I have a 5120x2880 display scaled (125,150,175). I think this is why the upload quality is lower on YouTube + compression.
1706302936607.png

I need to account for the scaling when recording.

Sizer should fix my problems. DisplayFusion is similar to Sizer which is what I use for window management.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Thanks HaroldL, for Sizer! My display is 5k and the scaling affects the video. 200% is recommended for full res.. I'll need to figure out the correct setup for my machine.