What's new

What a load

lugton

Why on Earth would you get rid of the repository for the vault system? I have been battling with this tortuous byzantine methodology for a couple of months now - it doesn't offer much over the file handling systems built into Vista, and certainly none of the clean security of the online repository. I'm giving up and just using the file system.

Can someone give me a clear, cogent assessment of what is better about Vault, and what I am missing here? I am always willing to learn and improve, but you guys seem to be running the risk of removing the elegant simplicity that has made Alibre so great.

Help me, please

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
There are plenty of posts explaining exactly that. Please at least do a scan of the forums.
For instance here is one directly below your topic in the vault forum:
Vault... Is... Great (this title used to be "Vault... Is... RUBBISH!" but the op=original poster has since changed his mind.)

Alibre Vault aka M-Files can almost literally do whatever is needed for your file storage needs. It just takes time to read other posts, the manual, and to have the concepts sink in.

For me the Traditional Folders have been the easiest. They act just like the WFS but you can also find the documents by meta data and it has the version capability.
Read here about USING THE VAULT LIKE THE REPOSITORY

Read my thread, the post by wood...someone helped me no end, It does take a good day to set up but you can set the vault to store all your projects in a very logical format, it doesn't seem so at first because when you import all the data it sticks it all in the project bin and as far as I can see that's the biggest mistake they made, but that's down to the migration tool really.
Start off by creating a new view called 'contracts' and set the view filter to just show all the 'projects' (contract folders which can be found in projects, probably as c:contracts/xxx-xxx or however your contracts were titled) that contain you contract data, this will allow you to view all the contract information in a nicely laid out format, from here you can decided what files (photos, CAD drawings, Models, PDFs) you want to see within each of the new 'contract folers' within the 'contract view'. you do have to input a fair bit of information but once you get going it's not so bad.

The Vault is your friend :)