What's new

What are your top 3 wishes for V10?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
What are your top 3 wishes for V10?

Only 3 allowed, in this thread.....

Mine:

1. Multiple profile Sweeps.

2. Global access to reference geometry in Assemblies.

3. Color by Feature,

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

1. Being able to change the configuration for a drawing view. This will allow an existing drawing using a given configuration to be used to create a drawing for another configuration without redailing the whole drawing.

2. Color selection of faces.

3. Color views in drawings.

indesign

Alibre Super User

1. Speed up 2D drawings.
2. Access to sketch detail at all times.
3. Graphical dimensioning of solids model and assemblies.

bray

1) More stabilty/performance with large assemblies, 2d and 3d.

2) The ability to add/edit 2 or 3 configurations in alibre design or edit ones created in pro. I have alibre design at work and pro at home. I have ran into problems work with stuff from home with the version at work....

3) add a dimension properties window in the left pain. When you click or add a dim. the propeerties show up in the empty space on the left pain.

kineoptics

Not in any order.... they are:

1) Selectable mouse wheel zoom direction. Or just reverse it,

2) Tolerances entered in sketches show up later in drawings. (yes, you can enter tolerances on sketch dimensions.... try it!) This is all part of "Smart Model Technology". Smart Model Technology is something I made up.

3) How about one just inserts the fastener and AD does the rest. Instead of: (1st) drilling and tapping a hole in a part, (2nd) drilling and counterboring a hole in another part, (3rd) inserting a fastener in the holes... Yes, this is asking a lot but would that be cool.

kineoptics

I think the CAD industry is heading slowly towards less drawings and more Models to CAM. It's slow and it should be that way. Most parts still need a drawing to convey the necessary information. But with Smart Model Technology, the necessary information could be included in each part.

swertel

Alibre Super User

Smart Model Technology is actually called
Y14.41 - 2003 Digital Product Definition Data Practices

UGS actually calls it PMI for Product Manufacturing Information.

zzedexx

1) More stabilty/performance with large assemblies, 2d and 3d. [ESP. 2D speed pls!! ]

2) (better) ability to re-assign assembly constituents manually. ie: vastly expanded capability for the 'Replace' option, currently only available if an assembly part is not where alibre expects. (including dialogue allowing any affected constraints to be kept/amended/discarded as part of the re-assignment dialogue)

3) TIE:

a) (ability to switch to a design explorer view with) manually re-orderable constraints/part/assembly lists.

b) a 'REVERSE' (ie: ROTATE 180 deg) [&/or a 'ROTATE 90 deg.'] option/button provided/added to the 'Orient View' toolbar.

linuxguy

1) Ability to change at least the text size for the tutorials. I don't do the tutorials because the text is too small and it's too much of a hassle copying it to where I can read it.

2) Ability to change the configuration used for a part from within a higher level assembly - either for a single part or all parts of the same type.

3) I would very much like automatic access to ALL edges of a sketch in all other sketches (current or created later). I want the geometry to access these created automatically for each sketch I create for a part. It's a real pain to have to recreate edge and center line geometry for each individual sketch. It slows me down!

kineoptics

swertle, I'm short on knowledge of Y. whatever but knew it was called something.

I would just like it if we could put more information into parts and assemblies that would later show up on drawings. Now, I go ahead and insert critical tolerances in part sketches and use it just as a note pad. Sometimes I start a drawing right after the part just to put in dimension tolerances while they're fresh in my head.

I also put information in the properties > general boxes about tolerances, whether the material is aluminum but could be plastic, the McMaster part number, whether I should make it or send it out, etc. It would be nice to have this info show up on the drawing later also. Just for a quick heads up to be quickly deleted as you would probably not want much of it on the final drawing.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

1) Faster 2d Drawing manipulation.

2) Better export to AutoCAD (again, 2d). Specifically, I think that you should be able to map Alibre layers to AutoCAD layers so that when you do an import/export, it looks OK regardless of which direction you are going.

3) Expand API to finally include chamfers and fillets. My mathematical prowess increased writng my last program, but calculating an arc for the head of a button-head cap screw was a pain. :roll:

Regards,

Jordan

cnc

1.Color By Feature

2.Mutliple Profile Sweeps

3 Mutliple actuators working simultaneously in motion

HaroldL

Alibre Super User

1. All the sheet metal enhancements already submitted to Support and/or listed in the forum.

2. Better or user controlable lighting in the model view. (To get rid of the dark shadow on the lower right side of the part.)

3. Drag-and-Drop from/to the Catalog Features dialog.

HaroldL

cgriffin

1. Above all else, pipe/tubing features.

2. I've got the Expert Photorender, and it just plain sucks. The output NEVER has the same lighting look that the screen does--the output is always about 20 shades darker than the working screen. This should be fixed immediately. (I must admit that I haven't tried it since the last update...but it wasn't listed as being fixed, either, so I didn't want to waste my time.)

3. Realistic texture application for the photorender. They all LOOK like renderings. I recently saw a 6' high banner that used a rendering, and the only way I could tell it wasn't a photo (on that 6' high banner) was that the texture on the model was just slightly different compared to the actual product. Nobody else could tell, but I was looking for it.

barryhc

Just three Heh ? > Alrighty then !

( 1 ) Global access to Part Parameters in Assy Files. This means "put" Part Parameter into Assy Equation Editor, for use by "whatever".

( 2 ) "Driven Dimensions" available in Equation Editor ( Part and Assy ) to use like any other Parameter, with the exclusion, of course, of editing the value.

( 3 ) Definable and Selectable "Configurations" for File and Dimension Properties, in Drawing Files.

There you are. #1 is flat out "Do or Die", for my business. I hope it stiil exists by the time Ver. 10 or a "Fix" comes out ! :roll:

I can't help but show my support for the following:

> > Global access to reference geometry in Assemblies.

> > Being able to change the configuration for a drawing view. This will allow an existing drawing using a given configuration to be used to create a drawing for another configuration without redailing the whole drawing.

> Barry :)

Re:

kineoptics said:
Not in any order.... they are:

1) Selectable mouse wheel zoom direction. Or just reverse it,

2) Tolerances entered in sketches show up later in drawings. (yes, you can enter tolerances on sketch dimensions.... try it!) This is all part of "Smart Model Technology". Smart Model Technology is something I made up.

3) How about one just inserts the fastener and AD does the rest. Instead of: (1st) drilling and tapping a hole in a part, (2nd) drilling and counterboring a hole in another part, (3rd) inserting a fastener in the holes... Yes, this is asking a lot but would that be cool.

1. Agree absolutely.
2. Not sure how that would work, as dimensions in drawings are based on part geometry, which is not necessarily the same as the sketch dimensions. Sometimes it is, but many times not. I use very few system dimensions, they are nearly always ones I add manually, just due to the differences in how sketches are dimensioned vs. how part drawings are dimensioned, esp. if they are done to Y14.5M standards.
3. Several other apps do just that, it is a big time-saver, especially when it comes to making changes down the road.