What's new

What is the Benefit of Alibre Packages

JerryB

I'm having difficulty seeing the benefit of Alibre Packages as compared with Zip files. Can someone please explain how packages provide any more value than just putting all related project/assembly/drawing files into a single zip file?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Package files are a handy way of sharing files between different computers and/or designers and maintaining the file structure.
If you just zip all the part, assembly, and drawing files that may work for you. But if you have hardware that comes from a location other than that of the model you then need Package to pull in all the hardware. When you unpack the assembly the file structure will be recreated, including that of the hardware.
I suppose you could put all the hardware in the model file location, but that could end up duplicating your hardware.

Also, If you need to provide a file to Support for assistance, then a Package file is the quickest way to create a file for uploading.

These are examples from my experience.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you create a Package from and assembly or drawing - you don't even have to think about what files to include with it to allow it to open.

Package is in fact a zip archive, with content chosen automatically - and an included file manifest.

JerryB

But if you have hardware that comes from a location other than that of the model you then need Package to pull in all the hardware. When you unpack the assembly the file structure will be recreated, including that of the hardware.
Exactly what are you referring to when you say "hardware"?

JerryB

If you create a Package from and assembly or drawing - you don't even have to think about what files to include with it to allow it to open.
I build up each project under a single directory, with subdirectories as needed. Inside that project directory, I create all the parts, with a drawing for each part, then build up assemblies, often nested multiple levels, with a drawing for each of them. With zip, it is easy to put everything into an archive file which is in the project's directory tree.

If I understand how Alibre packages work, the above is not possible since there is no single drawing or assembly that links directly or indirectly to all project files. But what if instead of using a separate drawing file for each part and assembly, I used a single drawing file with a sheet for each part/assembly? Would that provide a way to include all project files in a package?

But even if the above works, I still don't see the advantage of Alibre packages. Perhaps the manifest adds value? How is it used?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
In you case there isn't much value (if any) - but for many the ability to save a package from (say) a drawing of an assembly, and be confident that all needed files will be included is useful.

If sending something to support for diagnosis, you may not need to send the whole project - but do need to be sure that all required files are included for the particular file that suffers from an issue.

Before Package files support would often have to request additional files which had not been included with the original support request. That does still happen - but now we simply ask for a Package file.

JerryB

Okay, now I get it. Thank you.

As a sideline, would my idea of using a single drawing file provide a way of including all part and assembly files in an Alibre package?

Any disadvantages of using a single drawing file with multiple sheets vs. a separate drawing file for each part and assembly?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can do that - but multi-sheet drawings can become rather slow to work with. Should the file get damaged, you potentially lose a lot of work (so backups become even more important than usual.

Also note that a multi-sheet drawing can only reference a single BoM - so that that might limit when you could use this approach.

Last edited:

JerryB

I understand. I'm about 20 days into my 30 day trial of Alibre, and I have already learned so much - largely thanks to this forum. Thank you for all that you do!!!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Exactly what are you referring to when you say "hardware"?
Any fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) or accessories (downloaded items, like draw pulls, slides, or hinges and brackets) you may have added to the assembly.