What's new

What's everyone favorite 3D printer

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Primarily I use Maker Geeks Raptor PLA. There's an interesting video on their website where a kid blows up some parts made from it. My experience has been very good with it. UV isn't a problem for the majority of what I do. Raptor is a pretty tough material, prints very well and is good up too dishwasher temps.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
That's to bad. I saw Zortrax at the TCT and kind of got the impression that they hadn't done much in terms of development.

They've got their M300 (larger version of what I have) and the Inventure, but both are overpriced for today's hobby market. Judging from the more frequent sales they've been running, their sales may be suffering from the cost. Those are a year or so old and more recently they have upgraded their proprietary slicer to allow most 3rd party filaments.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I 3D printed a clamp in PLA five years ago. It's been outside in all weathers since then and still working fine.

I just printed a flat cover for an outdoor vent in PLA/PHA and installed on the siding. Hopefully it makes it through the Chicago winter and doesn't melt in the next Chicago summer. I tried ABS but it just warped like crazy.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
They've got their M300 (larger version of what I have) and the Inventure, but both are overpriced for today's hobby market. Judging from the more frequent sales they've been running, their sales may be suffering from the cost. Those are a year or so old and more recently they have upgraded their proprietary slicer to allow most 3rd party filaments.
I meant that more along the lines of what I saw (or didn't see) on the printers themselves. I mean, a ABS printer that isn't enclosed? All other companies have address that by now. Zortrax seem to lagging in the development of the product. My opinion.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
There are Zortrax and 3rd-party solutions for side covers and I think that someone was making a top cover as well, but Zortrax prefers to tell users to use their more expensive filaments to mitigate warping. I still think that they make a better-than-decent printer but the company definitely suffers from an authoritarian attitude and is reluctant to take much input from users.

mrehmus66

I bought a Qidi X-one a year ago and have probably put13,000 feet of PLA and PETG through it with no print problems. I had one failure, shot a video and sent it to the Chinese manufacturer on a Friday night. The next Wednesday morning DHL delivered a replacement part, the tools I'd need, a video of the procedure and some spare nozzles and build plate covers.
I've had it printing continuously for over a week with no problems.

$400 from Amazon. Two day delivery. Great supplier.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I have been raving about the Up! printers for some time but recently discovered this one. The Flashforge Guider II. Its a bit pricier than say the Up! Box but with Flashforge I know what I'l be getting. My FFCX still works fine but I wouldn't mind a larger build volume. The CR-10 is a very close second. It has an even bigger build volume and is far cheaper but PLA only.

hradford5

The CR10 will print ABS, PETG, flex, PVA and even Polycarbonate. But, you have to make some modifications to get there. I added a couple of layers off adhesive pipe insulation to the bottom of the heatbed to get the higher bed temps for polycarbonate and I hade to built an enclosure to be able to print ABS. I also had to add a modified extruder mechanism to keep the flex from jamming. All of the mods were simple and inexpensive.
I'm saving to get a Prusa Mk3 and the multi-filament upgrade. This is the most fun I've had with a new hobby in a long while.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
The CR10 will print ABS, PETG, flex, PVA and even Polycarbonate. But, you have to make some modifications to get there. I added a couple of layers off adhesive pipe insulation to the bottom of the heatbed to get the higher bed temps for polycarbonate and I hade to built an enclosure to be able to print ABS. I also had to add a modified extruder mechanism to keep the flex from jamming. All of the mods were simple and inexpensive.
I'm saving to get a Prusa Mk3 and the multi-filament upgrade. This is the most fun I've had with a new hobby in a long while.
Tell me honestly... your ABS prints... In such a huge enclosure... you don't have warping or anything?

I like the CR-10. The fact that it gets rave reviews sealed it for me. But I know Flashforge. Their printers are SOLIDLY built. Their slicer is awesome. The print quality is great. And they look good too.