What's new

When did you start using the best cad system in the world?

When did you use Alibre Design (or Geomagic Design) for the first time?

• Before 2002

• 2002-2003

• 2004-2005

• 2006-2008

• 2009-2011

• 2012-2014

• 2015-2017

• 2018-2020

• 2021-2023

• Can't rembember.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mibe

Alibre Super User
I have noticed that a lot of newer users have entered this forum latetly and that made me a bit curious.

Is that visible in a poll? Will the graph grow chronologically?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
:D Can you add the major version numbers with the years? I think I started with V10 as well. Around 2007ish. My boss had gotten a trial CD and I found it worked great.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
I started in 2004 with V8 Pro:
"Planned for release this summer, version 8.0 has some extremely powerful new features including support for 3D sketches, surfaces and freeform solid features, associative Booleans for mold design, an API for customization and numerous user interface enhancements."

durand

I don't remember the year but Alibre was only Alibre. They came out with the expert or professional version so I preordered it and I think it was only around $800.00. That included Algor FEA, machining, motion, sheet metal and rendering if I remember correctly. That is when some other user could ask you a question while your working, you could accept and take the time to help them or did not accept the request through the software. That was before forums.

flacustom

Found Alibre late 2007 while looking for CAD type programs for cabinetry but all seemed to be specific to kitchen/bath cabinetry. I was primarily building custom retail displays and retail store buildouts that didn't fit into the typical cabinetry programs. I downloaded a trial version and saw the potential for what I needed. Also, a forum member at the time, Kelsey Woodworks, was well versed in applying the program to cabientry and furniture building and helped immensely with advice, templates and knowledge. During the trial Alibre ran a huge sale and I think I purhchased it for almost half off the $800 price. It has been perfect for everything I've built since and I am still learning more of it's capabilities.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Discovered Alibre when I started my new job working at RIVCO Products in January of 2008, they'd only just purchased the package and I was the guy they got to figure it out & redraw all of their product designs to it. Spent about 2 weeks randomly punching the keyboard before I got completely stuck on something and came to these forums for help.

Coincidentally, as I'm typing this right now, today is my last day at RIVCO. New job I'm starting on Monday does mostly 2D work, but if I see a need for a 3D package, I'll highly recommend they take a look at Alibre. My career focus has been shifting more towards the manufacturing side of things lately, but it's still nice to sit down for a while and do some drawing :)

VoltsAndBolts

I don't really remember when I actually started using it but I think 2007 or 2008 I know I joined the forum 2009. Somewhere I have my original CD. I was actually using SolidWorks at the time. Later Pro engineer then Creo. And eventually back to SolidWorks. I always like the way Alibre was similar to SolidWorks so I've always used it for my personal projects / business

Last edited: