What's new

When using part generator, how do you use a drop down menu instead of entering each value?

Tapap

So with the part generator I've manage to make my threaded nut and bolt generator. I'm at the tinker stage with my 3d printer and I'm having a blast making printed threaded parts.

Right now on my part generator to work I have to enter the major & minor diameter, length of part, length of helix, pitch for helix cut, length for thread triangle base which is pitch minus 0.001", triangle angle. It's making nuts and bolts with modeled threads perfect but I want to make it better. If you load the fastener library you can generate a nut and bolt without threads and it uses a drop down menu. Like I select my desired fastener type and I have two drop down menus; one for size and the other for length. I want to make the drop down menus but I'm not sure how and I don't know if it's pulling the data from a spreadsheet or if each one was designed and added to the library.

What I want to accomplish in the part generator is three drop down menus. One for diameter, one for pitch, one for length and it adjust my triangle sketch to match the desired pitch.

I'm putting 4hrs/day on alibre until I can get back into class and I've gotten massively distracted by the capabilities of the library and part generator. It's to the point that I'm putting every model I've made in the library just so I can quickly adjust the parameters without touching the sketch.

On a side note, I'm finding it harder to use other cad programs the more I learn about alibre. I'm glad my first cad class let us use own software otherwise I'd be stuck with fusion