What's new

When will it be safe to upgrade to 9.2 and what are the bugs

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
I have been reading the forum since the update to 9.2. There are some of us that have not updated to 9.2. We wanted to wait, leaving well enough alone until a service pack comes out to address the bugs that 9.2 introduced.

There have been a number of bugs reported in the forum. It would be nice to collect them all in one location. Also, it would be nice if Alibre commented on the thread and announced all ZAP packs available for the known bugs. It would be really, really nice if Alibre started the thread with all the known bugs since they would be the one that knows them all.

I would also like to know the timing of the 9.2, SP1.

pem

re:

Hi,

In my opinion, plesase don't upgrade to version 9.2 until Alibre will release SP1. This version has a lot of bugs for exmaple:

1. Export to ACIS R13 - I received zap file from Alibre
2. Mate constraint offset value will not go to 0 - I have also zap file for it.

So we have to be patient and wait for SP1.

Pem

dgstoll

There seems to be trouble with assembly files messing with equation data from the part files which produces errors in BOM

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

This is something I have to ask...

Was this after an upgrade, or was this a fresh install?

My problems seem to have gone away after a fresh install. Not to say there aren't others lurking about, but I haven't had any more so far.

Here's hoping...

Regards,

Jordan

dgstoll

I downloaded the v9.2 file, started the file which then did an uninstall of the existing 9.1 and then installed the 9.2. I did send the project files to support and they are able to reproduce the problem. There is another post in the "Using Alibre" section of the forum where someone else has had different problem associated with assembly files and the equation editor.
daveS

rlee

constraint problems

I've had all sorts of problems with constraints whenever I have multiple levels of assemblies. Sometimes the top level assembly shows the lower level in a previous state. When I open the lower level, the parts "snap" back to the correct position, then when I go back to the upper level, it snaps back into the previous state. No amount of regenerating, saving, supressing and unsupressing seems to correct the problem. It's like having multiple configurations, but there aren't multiple configurations. I usually delete the offending part from the lower level assembly, then reinsert it to correct the problem.

Another problem with constraints, is sometimes an assembly is fine, sometimes I open the same assembly and the constraints are conflicting. After exiting Alibre and restarting, the constraints are fine again.

Alibre seems to reach a limit; beyond a certain number of parts, constraints, subassembly levels, things start to fail. Sometimes I have to delete all the constraints, and just anchor the parts. Sometimes Alibre just locks up and I have to end the session in the Windows task manager.

I've had this problem many times over the last two years, not just the current release.

Richard
http://www.led-inc.com

Breezy

They don't tell you BUT once you go to 9.2 you cannot go back to 9.1 with any documents you've edited. BEWARE!

And yes, I find 9.2 pretty buggy and have clean installed a few times, etc. Stay with 9.1. I wish that I had.

And support hasn't been terribly helpful with my bugs either.

UPDATE 4/23/07 ..
It appears that many of my issues are related to bad import files. I was told to try to import SAT version 13 files, as they are the native files in Alibre. Apparantly just because Alibre can open it does not mean that the file is good. To check a file go to Tools| "check part". If you're working from imports I suggest you use this like will be in the future.

I'm still not sure 9.2 is any better than 9.1 though.

rlee

Import Files

I do use a lot of imported step files. Sometimes I need assemblies to come in as an assembly, not just one big solid block. Every SAT file seems to always come in as one big single part. Is that a limitation of SAT?

It will be a lot of work to rebuild my assembly from the ground up, but I'm going to try reimporting everything as SAT and see if things improve.

Thanks,

Richard

Breezy

A couple of indicators tjhat 9.2 is getting ready to crap out. When section views don't display you know it's time to save work and reboot. When it runs slow, after a few hours use. When trimming a Bspline takes lots of time. Hope this helps someone.

rlee

Question about the SAT files

After importing SAT files, does Alibre access the SAT each time the imported file is opened?

I noticed in the design explorer, the feature shows the path to the the temp file where I originally downloaded the SAT.

Like this:

Features
Imported SAT file: C:\\Documents and Settings\\Richard\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files\\Content.IE5\\B22DZVAI\\Misumi-MTSBHR10[1].sat

Do I need to keep the native SAT after I import it into Alibre?

Richard

Breezy

Another bug .. this one gave me a heart attack! When you drag an extrusion, etc up the explorer tree you can wind up with the item greyed out and then everyting just stops working.

if you're like me you just close the file and hope your save is recent. however when I opened this file up everyting was broken and the screen was white.

So I opened a backup of the file with the same result. Fortunately a Windows reboot fixed the error. Just starting Alibre did not fix it. My files were OK.

In order to re arrange the extrusion order in the exploroer tree without this problem I drug the progress indicator up the tree first so Alibre wouldn't be forced to recalculate while dragging. That worked fine.