What's new

Where are you? Alibre Standard, Professional or Between?

leeave96

Where are you? Alibre Standard, Professional or Between?

I’m having a hard time remembering – so take some of what I say with a grain of salt. I bought Alibre back at V6 (If I recall correctly) prior to sheet metal and shortly after that, V7 came and I believe that’s when we got sheet metal. The repository feature was there from the get-go. Infact, I think the Windows based file system came in a later version/update. Somewhere between V7 & V8, there was a promotion for suggestions of potential users and in exchange for that, we were given the choice of several upgrades to choose from. I choose Part Library.

Soooooo, I am somewhere between Alibre Standard & Professional! Where are you?

I ask because I got an e-mail from Alibre with an offer to upgrade to full Professional (V9) for $495 and I am debating doing it. Question is – should I?

The two parts of Professional that I could potentially use is configurations (new to V9 professional and expert) and design check.

Are configurations important for you? Do you use Design Check? What about Photo Render and Model Press Publisher? Anyone using that stuff?

I think I am going to upgrade, but I thought I’d ask you folks you opinions of the additional features vs. what I have before doing so.

Thanks!
Bill

siggy

So where did you see that configurations will be limited to only Pro or Expert? The only press release I saw didn't call this limitation out.

I run basic and have purchased the optional sheetmetal and Photorender Industrial modules.

Robert

MilesH

Alibre Super User

If you already have any module/functionality that's in Pro, you'll get an additional discount, I think.

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I was sort of in the same boat as you Bill.
We bought Alibre at V5. If I remember correctly there wasn't any "versions" at that time.
I just upgraded to Pro becuase the company that I work for makes many family of parts. I can't even begin to imagine how much time configurations is going to save me.

Luckily for me my maintenance was just about due anyway so for an extra $200.00 I got the Pro version.

AS for Design Check I don't think that we will ever use it. We really never have a need for it.

We might have a use for the Modelpress publisher.

Attachments

• Worn forged steel.zip
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
A

Anonymous

upgrade

Got the same e-mail and was debating upgrading myself. Right now for me to renew it's $295. To upgrade to professional will be $495 with another year of maintenance. I wonder what the maintenance fee will be next year If I upgrade to professional now? Any guesses?

indesign

Alibre Super User

I have a year peft on my main. and just not sure yet. Trying to justify right now is tough. If I just had some more stamping layouts to do.

demarchi

I have a pro version.
Designcheck is a basic tool. It works but is feature limited.
Model press publisher is a rather good tool. You can send 3d Models, pass protected, time limited, meauserement oriented, at you choice. The Assy exported is extremely small, you can hide single parts, measure (if allowed), create cross section, explode, and so on. The reader is free. If it suits you is a rather interesting tool. It is useful as long as you need to send models, but protect your work. I can post a sample, if you wish.
I don't use much Photorender, so better ask other users.
You work with part library, so you know the stuff.
There are a couple of threads on sheet metal. I find it a good tool. Someone complains about some limitations. Coming from other 3D modelers I was impressed by the excellence of the tool..
So, it depends on what you need.