What's new

Where can I find drawings?

Toybuilder

Thsi is a OT/newbie question - And, part of what I learned about electronics when I was a child was the reams of electronics schematics documentation that companies threw away... and, in the programming world today, one can find a bunch of shared source code and programs made available legitimately (and also the pirated stuff) -- one can go to Google code, for example, to get source code examples to learn from.

Is there anything remotely like that in the drafting/mechanical engineering world? I would love to see drawings of (say) an aircraft component or a computer subassembly that are collected in one place. I know that if you search hard enough, you'll get the occasinal product drawings for some product or another; but there's nothing amassed that I've found yet.

Thanks!

rollin45

One source of drawings is

McMaster-Carr.com

this site has tons of hardware and with most of the "stuff" are drawings.

rollin'

Toybuilder

Thanks Rollin,
What had in mind was more like a collection of blue prints / shop prints - with dimensions, call outs, fab notes, et cetra to study from. But I have to agree that McMaster has a pretty nice variety of product drawing to inspire design ideas.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Toybuilder said:
...Is there anything remotely like that in the drafting/mechanical engineering world? I would love to see drawings of (say) an aircraft component or a computer subassembly that are collected in one place. I know that if you search hard enough, you'll get the occasinal product drawings for some product or another; but there's nothing amassed that I've found yet.

Thanks!

It may be a little difficult to find the kind of drawings you are looking for, what with proprietary data and all. I don't think many aircraft part manufacturers would want to publish their hard work for the world to see. At least not with out a signed NDA.

You might try getting a hold of a mechanical drafting text book, maybe from a used book store. Most of the examples in them include the various drafting disciplines; castings, machining, sheet metal, gears, springs, etc.

H.
v12.1