What's new

Where the heck did this weird weld symbol setup come from?

JST

Alibre Super User
Just trying to spec the weld for these three parts, two pieces of plate and a square tube. So I think I have it positioned right, arrow looks good, and the symbol is OK. Then I add the second arrow, and BAM..... I get this.

I've actually gotten it twice now, on two similar parts. First time I just blew it off.

This actually ought not to be possible, I'd think. It seems like it tried to be two things at once. Also seems as if it would have been easier for it to be drawn as expected, with the arrows from the left end
left end, er.weird weld symbol.jpg

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I did some quick experimenting with the Weld Symbol tool and found a quirk that allows it to add arrows to the opposite end of the Reference line.

IF you click to the Left of the arrow attachment end of the reference line it will add another arrow on that end. However, if you click to the Right of the arrow attachment end of the reference line the arrow will be added to the opposite end of the reference line.

Add Arrows.png

So depending on where you want the arrows to be attached, it seems that you need to be careful of where you are clicking to place them. From your image it appears that you may have clicked to the Right of the reference line end with the arrow to add the extra arrow and that attached it to the opposite end of the ref line.

In cases like this it may be helpful to place or move the symbol away from the weld seam, add the arrows, then reposition the symbol as needed.

UPDATE: This example only works when Smart Anchors is selected. Deselect Smart Anchors and choose Left or Right from the drop down to attach the arrow to a specific end of the reference line.

Last edited:

JST

Alibre Super User
I found a situation where after the symbols was placed and accepted (looking normal, by the way). if I moved the symbol sideways, I could get:

1) both arrows at one end.

2) an arrow at each end

3) both arrows at the other end.

So it seems to be a "feature", for some reason

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Did you not read my post? Here it is explained from in the help file.

13. If the Show option was enabled then the Smart Anchor option can be used to change how the leader is positioned. This option will automatically adjust the position of text if a leader is re-positioned. Enabling the Smart Anchor option will override any Arrow type selected.

14. If the Smart Anchor option is disabled then the position of a leader can be manually set using the Position: drop-down menu.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I seem to remember for each note/weld symbol that you could turn off smart arrows and specify left or right.
Good point @NateLiqGrav . I use Smart Anchor so much that I forgot to check that. The example I posted was with Smart Anchor turned on. When Smart Anchor is turned off (deselected) then the arrows are attached Left or Right as selected, no matter where you click.

Here's the Left Anchor:
left arrow.png

And here's the Right Anchor:
right arrow.png

And they all change position together when the anchor is switched from Left to Right or visa versa.

JST

Alibre Super User
Did you not read my post? Here it is explained from in the help file.
Yes I read yours, did you NOT read mine?

It turns out that the double-ended display is caused by positioning of the symbol, NOT just when made, but ANYTIME. So no need to turn this and that on and off, just shift the symbol. As you move the symbol, you see the display change from both one end, to the double end, to both on the other end.

Possibly it can depend on the minutely exact place you click, but that is generally irrelevant. So is fussing with the smart (or dumb) settings.

My question is why the non-standard symbol is produced at all. I've never seen that method of showing a symbol in any text. It seems that the symbol ought to be one or the other and never a hybrid.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think it is a quirk in the Smart Anchor setting and where you click to place the arrows. I can duplicate what you are describing and if you want the arrows to be on the same end the solution is to turn off Smart Anchors and choose Left or Right or take the time to move the symbol into a position that places all the arrows on the end or your choice.

I've posted images of what I have found out in using the weld symbol arrows anything further, like why Smart Anchors does what it does, will have to come from Support, if you want to contact them.

JST

Alibre Super User
I can fix it when I see it. No skin off my nose for THIS particular issue.

If support wants to read these comments, they are free to do so, and fix what is arguably a stupid fault with a symbol. I've kinda given up on support, even though I pay for it. I'm really just paying for the updates..