What's new

Which version of Design and CAM do I need

IMK

Hello,
I am currently using Design Xpress but I guess I will need to upgrade to use Alibre CAM.
What I want to make are prototype encloures for some electronics I am making that you can see in the attached PART.
So could someone advice which version of Design and CAM I need to do this type of work please?

Many thanks IK

Attachments

• PrototypeBoxType-1-Front.AD_PRT
    429 KB · Views: 304

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
From a quick look at the part I think that the free version of CAM could be made to cope . Initially this was supplied only with Design Expert, but I think it can be used with any AD package now (not sure about Express, but you could try). This does have the major limitation of not being (simply) able to re-orient the part to work on different faces, but there is a work around using Booleans. It would also (I think) require a form tool to produce the radiused external corners, this would require another 'fiddle' as the free version doesn't support anything beyond simple tools. The paid for versions would probably be easier to work with - I'm sure those with direct experience will share their thoughts.

Just an observation - the (short) sharp corners inside the part would be difficult to machine, the tool radius limits how sharp an internal corner can be cut in a milling operation.

IMK

Hello Dave,
Well I have been thru the gasket tutorial but when I came to generate the Gcode for my Mach3 mill a popup comes up saying. Working in demo mode can’t do this.

So this bring me back to my original question which version do I need to buy or have I mist something as far as the free version is concerned?

Many thanks IK

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
OK - there is a registration process, looks like this still ties the functioning version of CAM Express to AD Expert.

LazyCam that come with Mach3 may be worth looking at - though at the expense of having to generate DXF files for LazyCam.

The detailed differences between versions of AlibreCAM don't seem to be well documented, so hopefully someone else will pitch in with their experience.

I don't believe you need a partiuclarly high version of AD, as you've obviously managed with Express - it is not clear if a purchased version of AlibreCAM requires a paid for version of AD, or if it can work with ADXpress. Maybe worth a message to Alibre to check.

Looking at the feature comparison I think all versions of CAM (including Express, but with some fiddling) could work for you. The version of AD would be anything which allows CAM to run.

IMK

Hello David,

Yes it is very confusing as to what will it work or not as in the help files for Alibre CAM it tells you to register but when you try a register Alibre tell you “That you Don’t Need To” so I am stuck in the middle not knowing what will work with what in Xpress mode.

What I have been testing with to generate Gcode is MeshCam it is really nice but I would be nice for the few simple milling jobs I need to have one integrated package.

Also I think that Alibre should do a low cost package for people like myself that are not going to use CAD/CAM commercially. As I would be happy to pay a couple of hundred pounds for a package but I can’t justify the cost of the full commercial packages as I would only use it a couple of times a year.

Again many thanks for your help

IMK

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you're in the UK, sounds like a good question for the new UK distributor to find the answer to...

Just a thought - did you wait for the AlibreCAM demo to expire to Express (I think you get 30 days to wet your appetite for the features of paid versions)? I can imagine that when in demo mode it wouldn't produce G-code. I thought there was an option to 'set up as express' or something on installation - but it's a while since I installed (and I have AD Expert which may cloud things).

[EDIT - I see from your other post that you have tried this, if Alibre or the distributor can't/won't answer your question then maybe Mecsoft could. My guess is that an ADExpert license will act as a licence key for CAMExpress, but otherwise CAM Express is just a demo and you have to add a license for CAM Std/Pro/Expert - still not clear if a purchased version of AD is a requirement or not].

IMK

DavidJ said:
If you're in the UK, sounds like a good question for the new UK distributor to find the answer to...

Just a thought - did you wait for the AlibreCAM demo to expire to Express (I think you get 30 days to wet your appetite for the features of paid versions)? I can imagine that when in demo mode it wouldn't produce G-code. I thought there was an option to 'set up as express' or something on installation - but it's a while since I installed (and I have AD Expert which may cloud things).

[EDIT - I see from your other post that you have tried this, if Alibre or the distributor can't/won't answer your question then maybe Mecsoft could. My guess is that an ADExpert license will act as a licence key for CAMExpress, but otherwise CAM Express is just a demo and you have to add a license for CAM Std/Pro/Expert - still not clear if a purchased version of AD is a requirement or not].

Hello David and many thanks for the reply..
As you have a full CAM package then maybe you would know the answer to the point in my new thread.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8666
All the best IK

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I only have CAMExpress (with ADExpert) - it is something I hope to use at some point when I finally get one of my worshop machines CNC'd.

CAMExpress has very limited toolpath display capabilities, but I'll see what I can work out... (this may take some time!).

IMK

DavidJ said:
I only have CAMExpress (with ADExpert) - it is something I hope to use at some point when I finally get one of my worshop machines CNC'd.

CAMExpress has very limited toolpath display capabilities, but I'll see what I can work out... (this may take some time!).

Hello David,
I know this is really off toppic but I converted a X2 mill with a kit from Syil..
It is up and working fine now but it was not a simple path.
So what do you have in mind to convert?
IK

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
See response to your other post - thanks I finally started to make some sense of CAMXpress!

First CNC 'conversion' is underway at present, an old, very small CNC932 educational 'toy' mill which I plan to use just for engraving (or very tiny parts). That should only require a simple interface between its control box and the PC running Mach3, but that is taxing me enough at the moment.

After that I have steppers and drivers to attempt conversion on my old Smart & Brown plain lathe, and my pillar drill / X-Y table. Or I may build a larger engraver.

dppmfg

I firmly believe don't buy software based on what you want to do today but on the job of tomorrow.
I bought alibre design expert and alibre cam expert have been overall pleased with it for less than 5k for the whole shebang hard to go wrong.
my biggest problem has been getting the modifications made to my post processor for my fadal.
While they seem to be trying to do there best I am not to convinced that the tec support folks have much experience in this regard.
Go expert and have fun.