What's new

Who here uses M-Files Vault?

Who here uses M-Files Vault to save their Alibre files?

• Total voters

Alexander

I used to use it when it was with 3D System/Geomagic and can't think why I stopped, it must of been when it was no longer bundled with Alibre.
I actually really want to use it again and even contacted Mfiles for a price, they never responded, probably only interested in supplying large companies.
I can't find my license key either or the install file. Does M-Files from 8-9 years ago work with the current Alibre.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Does M-Files from 8-9 years ago work with the current Alibre
Probably - but whether it'll happily work with current Windows could be more of an issue.

M-Files these days won't quote for single licences, and have moved to a subscription model for recent versions (lose access to your own files when the subscription ends).

Alexander

M-Files these days won't quote for single licences, and have moved to a subscription model for recent versions (lose access to your own files when the subscription ends).
I guess that explains it, thanks. Subscription model is out of the question for me.
I didn't know an Alibre PDM was being developed. Has a timeline been shared?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We have not made a decision on MFiles migration. We are focusing first on making ours. It's a long dev cycle.

At some point we will analyze the situation more clearly. Given MFiles is very expensive and tends to not care about single users, and since we have had no formal arrangement with them for many years, it is my expectation that what we will find is almost all such users have stopped using it. Of course, not all have.

My guess is that interfacing with (any number of different versions of) MFiles going back many years would be required, which in itself is a huge research project. Development would likely be quite non trivial, after all we are messing with data at that point. So it will depend on if the people benefiting from this work number in the 20s or the thousands, considering putting developers on this negatively affects every other customer who will miss out on feature development.

My guess is that it is unlikely we will do that. But again I have been wrong before and will be wrong again. We need to run a survey and figure out what we are dealing with.

I know that's not the answer you wanted, but it's at least the truth. There is also the fundamental problem that neither our PDM, nor any other PDM, is MFiles. I say that just to reiterate that MFiles is highly customizable, and they have concepts we do not have, or do things in different ways, etc. Even if we decide to have a migration tool from MFiles, it's certain a lot of "stuff" related to MFiles, like customizations, will not transfer. So there is a lot to consider, and we will do it more thoroughly when we get closer. There is no possibility we will do it prior to the launch of Alibre PDM, as we just don't have the time.

That said, we do not plan on ripping out MFiles functionality, though it is also true that we do not actively develop against their API, except in cases where surgical precision is possible. However it hasn't changed in many years and I don't expect they will kill all past integrations by screwing with it on their end any time soon.

Last edited:

zgred

Hi,
Since 2012 I use M-Files to manage Alibre files and my projects. Previously Alibre Vault. Currently on the latest paid version of M-Files and it works perfectly. I hope it will continue to be so.

ASP

since 2010 I am using M-Files (Server V10.2 / Client 11.1) to manage all project related files - from all CAD, photos, e-mails, etc. to complete procurement (~ 50GB \ > 70k files)
I hope it will continue to work - anything else would be an economical disaster.

Markaj

I do use it & have done for a good many years. I keep all project related files on it; 2D CAD, modelling, costing, rendering, parts libraries, any other documentation etc etc. As well as finding the vault filing system invaluable. However I am hoping an alternative will turn up as it is effectively unsupported now.

drbris

Just curious as to how many people have or use the M-File Vault.
Used to way back when I first got Alibre before all of the hullaballo with GM. Had a HD crash and was unable to recover 2 years worth of models- so I now store all of my files on google drive.

H-L-Smith

Is there a description of, or a requirements document for, the Alibre PDM available for users to read? Something like a general description of what kinds of data will be managed in the Alibre PDM system? One would expect Alibre parts, assemblies and drawings, of course. But will there be an ability to associate those things with project documents like specifications, requirements or other items generated outside of Alibre?

Thanks,

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a description of, or a requirements document for, the Alibre PDM available for users to read? Something like a general description of what kinds of data will be managed in the Alibre PDM system? One would expect Alibre parts, assemblies and drawings, of course. But will there be an ability to associate those things with project documents like specifications, requirements or other items generated outside of Alibre?

Thanks,
Not yet - Max may be able to add more. There will no doubt be extensive Help entries when v28 is released.

I've seen a very early version; that did accept files other than Alibre native files. I only tried adding PDF, Word, JPEG, txt beyond some native Alibre stuff. I can't report much more as the version I saw only had parts of the UI working, so wasn't used for any extensive testing.

BigKahunaFL

Used to way back when I first got Alibre before all of the hullaballo with GM. Had a HD crash and was unable to recover 2 years worth of models- so I now store all of my files on google drive.
Two thumbs down on the Google Drive. The same goes for MS OneDrive. Backup to an external hard drive; NO SECURITY ISSUES! jmho

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Not yet - Max may be able to add more. There will no doubt be extensive Help entries when v28 is released.
Was the functionality of this new PDM derived from Alibre users requests or is it just a bunch of features the dev team think users may or may not need? I'm only asking because when requirements come from within, they tend to miss many usability features that the user actually wants. Just being the devils advocate David ... I'm sure the first release will be very good, just hope it's feature rich.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Simon - I don't have that detail.

There are 2 main aspects to this
* Inherent functionality such as permissions, versioning, relationships, back-up, user management, access by same user from multiple computers, multiple users accessing the same files,...
* Detail of how the user interacts with the system, and how it is all presented.

Whilst both are important, the first category has to be absolutely right from day one. The second can more easily be optimised based on user feedback, if should we say opportunities haven't been spotted. I don't mean to imply that the second category is being taken less seriously.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Thanks David, appreciate that. Can you say if its database driven (like Perforce, Doors, etc) or a file system approach (like CVS, SVN, GIT, etc)? i.e. Is it a system that can be backed up or archived outside the application by say an automated external system and will the Alibre API have access to PDM operations? ... for automation.