What's new

Why does material use density instead of the material?

I am creating a script that allows you to quickly Save As a part and change filename/directory/description/part number/ and MATERIAL.

This is impossible since for some reason MATERIAL actually equals DENSITY....

I have been using P.Material, which returns 1.0 by default. Is it called something else perhaps? You would thing material would be called material and density would be density...

This is impossible since for some reason MATERIAL actually equals DENSITY....
Eric -- Density is a property of Materials -- just as (say) Yield Stress, Ultimate Tensile Stress, Tensile and Shear Moduli (etc.) values are. What I have been hoping for (for a long time now) is a way to define the Material assignment to a Part. -- Lew

Eric -- Density is a property of Materials -- just as (say) Yield Stress, Ultimate Tensile Stress, Tensile and Shear Moduli (etc.) values are.

I understand that but it does not make sense why there wouldn't be a density value as well as material.

What I have been hoping for (for a long time now) is a way to define the Material assignment to a Part. -- Lew

Yes please. It should be reletively simple seeing as it would function exactly like the already implemented description attributes. (Although we both know that things are never as simple as they seem.)

Does anybody know a way I can change the material of the part via script?

Andy -- I have been doing so (along with a "request" to expand Material Properties data values) for years.

I sent one in as well. Maybe if enough of us do it...

Also there are description and part number attributes for part files, but not assembly files. Why develop APIs for only one file type when the features those APIs control are on multiple file types?

I sent one in as well. Maybe if enough of us do it...

Also there are description and part number attributes for part files, but not assembly files. Why develop APIs for only one file type when the features those APIs control are on multiple file types?
What? You mean it is not just the Few and then there's Lew???