What's new

Why not side-by-side?

nvanlaar

Why doesn't Alibre support a side-by-side install of 32bit and 64bit since not all of the plugins/tools work in the 64bit version?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I can only guess that would require additional programming work and additional testing. Perhaps it might also cause issues with the licensing framework.

I know it is frustrating having to wait for the add-ons. Whilst you wait for Alibre to finish the 64 bit add-ons, you can install a 32 bit version on another PC (Alibre allows up to 3 active installs).

nvanlaar

It is frustrating...
I don't know about programing, but they get installed to different directories [Program Files vs. Program Files (x86)] and I didn't have to do any re-licensing when I switched from the 64bit version to the 32bit version. My license/license info persisted somehow. Whatever the reason, I don't like it.

nvanlaar

Thanks for the ignorant reply. If you actually read my reply to DavidJ, I said I switched to 32bit already. As for being "forced" to use 64bit... in some ways I am due to memory limitations of 32bit computing.

All of the other design programs I use have made sure the in-house plugins/add-ons/etc. work with the 64bit version or they allow a side-by-side install scenario. Switching programs on the same computer is sucky enough, but to have to change computers...? All in all this does not change the frustration factor. I am dealing with it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, especially when I pay good money for something to work.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I guess my point was that Alibre was kind enough to release the 64bit Alibre Design without making us all wait until all addons are converted over. I'm also pretty sure Alibre made it known to not work with the 32bit addons and that the 64bit addons were not done yet.