What's new

Why?

lugton

Why is this still an Alibre forum? - does 3D Systems even care about this product? Let us know so we don't waste any more money on it that we could put towards Solidworks

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Why SolidWorks? There are a few more out there and some of them are in the same price range as GD but more like SW in functionality. SolidWorks is a waste of money these days.

PS. Stick to Geomagic Design a Little longer, there will probably be news about the next update soon.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Its a two edged sword isn't it?

On the one hand a mature program like GD just doesn't get updates as regularly as a) there aren't as many bugs in it as in beta software (eg Onshape) and b) finding and fixing bugs is probably a far more complex issue due to the maturity of the software. I have always believed this to be the reason for the long wait between updates.

On the other hand if, after a year's wait, the update isn't absolutely mindblowing then you can't help but wonder what took so long. And of course, since maintenance is charged yearly there should, in all fairness, be at least one major update every 12 months.

On the third hand Solidworks releases a major update i.e. new version every year and to be honest they aren't exactly staggering either. Mostly minor stuff. Considering what SW maintenance costs one could argue that is a real waste of money.

GD has its blonde moments. But so does all software. SW is very clunky to work with. Creo is a mess. the list goes on. I continue to hope for a new improved version of GD, sooner rather than later. I may also be eating those words. Either way I know from experience that I am not necessarily better off by jumping ship.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
For the record, today I continued to work on a mould for Land Rover. The original mould was designed in Catia. Imported into GD for editing purposes. This is the fifth revision I am now busy with, each time I get sent a Catpart file of the latest article. GD imports it all and lets me edit it quickly and efficiently. Drawings, EDM set-up sheets, extracting electrodes, revising entire mould parts, all in GD. Not too shabby, imo. Far cheaper (and oh so much quicker) than SW.

That's why.

JST

Alibre Super User
Having used SW, and GMD, and a bit of Pro-E (now Creo, I understand), I like GMD far better than SW.

I may have problems with using GMD, I may have frustrations with using it, but I still like it better. I found SW clumsy and counter intuitive, where GMD was pretty easy to understand, once I "got my head around" some basic stuff.

I had less trouble getting seriously into 3D modeling, learning what to do AND the background concepts etc, with GMD than I had using SW AFTER I already knew how to "do 3D modeling". I will not count pro-E, as it was a long time ago, old software, and I had forgotten most of what I had from training way back then.

I went through a LOT of the SW training stuff, and STILL had trouble. Far less so with GMD.

THAT'S why.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Unfortunately at work I am forced to use CATIA, talk about software that throws logs between your legs so you can't run when trying to do the simplest things.
I have used SW and Inventor, although never for serious work.
GM is just easier to use, no way around it.
I hope it keeps on improving, even if slowly.
It took several versions, but they did eliminate my pet pieve in the newest version, finally.
Don

dammerel

Hi
Another interesting cad is fusion 360
I also brought viacad $75 couldn't lose at that price

Fusion is sort of hybrid, local app with cloud/local storage great for office and home

The assembly joints are the best so easy

steveastro

GMD was the first CAD system I used professionally. I emigrated to the USA a couple of years ago to an all SW shop, and my compamy kindly bought me a seat I am increasingly forced to use. I keep GMD for personal projects, and maintaining old drawings, but the siren call of SW is ever louder, and I have a free-home-use licence for that too.

GMD looks dead. I shan't renew next time.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Just my $.02 on the subject . . . We use SW where I work, the vast majority of our products are sheet metal. What I like is that SW has some handy sheet metal features like their Forming Tools (which I have submitted requests for since Alibre added sheet metal functionality) and it allows you to set the gap when you apply Closed Corners, just to name a couple. I like that SW has, in my opinion, a better method for controlling Splines and it allows 2-point splines; try that in GD. And, Yes they launch a new version every year with their big SW World sell-abration to keep all their users hooked on it. (That must cost a fortune but at $400+ monthly maintenance fees they can afford it.)

But -- I like GD as well, it is easy to work with for my personal use, it's not fat with extras like SW that only specific industries or individuals can use. In fact, if I need to work out a modeling process or procedure for something at work I will run through it in GD just to validate the design or figure out the procedure, minus some of SW's unique features of course. I would certainly like to see some of the asked for enhancements added to the program. It would also be nice if 3DSystems would speak up about the future of GD one way or another.

steveastro said:
. . . I emigrated to the USA a couple of years ago . . .
Now I'm confused, your location states the UK.

lugton

8) Thanks for an interesting discussion Some mature and intelligent responses. I guess we'll hang on a little longer.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
To be clear, I doubt that anyone here is happy about the silence from 3D Systems. Or the fact that functionality was added without fixing longstanding bugs. 3D Systems can certainly do a better job there.

That doesn't negate the fact that GD is still pretty good software.

Doesn't Dassault Systemes own Catia, Solid Works and 3D Systems?

Having worked in industry for over 30 years, I have found only a very few french made systems (machines or software) that were not screwy. They can't get out of their own way. As soon as 3D Systems bought Alibre/GMD, things got progressively more difficult. Customer service is more and more difficult.

Thankfully the GMD software is still a perpetual license and is still working well. There are a few bugs that I don't understand. Some bugs that, for me, popped up in previously non-buggy places.

I've looked at a couple of other 3D Design Software Packages, but I still have not found anything with the good cost/benefit ratio of GMD.

JST

Alibre Super User
Kugelsicher said:
Doesn't Dassault Systemes own Catia, Solid Works and 3D Systems?

Catia and SWX, yes.

3D Systems I do not believe is owned by any other company yet.