What's new

Wide screen and/or dual monitor?

dkmc

Wide screen and/or dual monitor?

I'm looking at the wide 19 and 21" LCD monitors at the local Bestbuys.
The Gateway is really impressive for clarity and color.

Anyone using a widescreen with Alibre?
Also, how about dual monitors, how well do they work with the software?
What minimum video card is required for dual monitor operation?

thanks

dan k

z28tt

I'm running mine on dual monitors, with nothing special. It's nice to have the help files or tutorials on the secondary screen, not taking up space of the model. I bought a $79 ATI X1300 AGP card to run on this 3 year old box, and no problems. I did have to turn down acceleration in Rhino, though.

Andris

robdavis

I have a 17" wide screen - 1920x1200 and it is very good - arrange Widows and Alibre tool bars on right of screen to maximize view area.

markhas

I've got dual 19" CRT monitors with a $70.00, ATI, RADEON 9550, 256MB card. The only thing I'd change is to go to LCD monitor/s. Can't make up my mind weather to get a single large display like 24"-30" or two LCD's. Saying that means that I don't have a problem... I like the idea of getting back some desktop realstate and maybe tucking the box behind the monitors on my Corner "L shape" Workstation.

There's no way I'd go back to a single monitor smaller than the monstors mentioned above and I have questions about the height of such a beast. Where as two 19"-21" LCD's would present a workable page size.

You don't need to spend hundred's of dollars for a quality garphic card to drive dual monitors. But you do need dual monitors to be productive.

dkmc

You don't need to spend hundred's of dollars for a quality garphic card to drive dual monitors. But you do need dual monitors to be productive.

Just what I was thinking.
A dual VGA output card can be had for little money these days.
And I have a 17 and 19 LCD, so I think I will do some experimentation.

thanks guys.....

dan k

robdavis

I have friend who bought a 24" screen and is not happy with it - too big. I think the point is thar you can see all of a 17" or 19" screen without moving your head.

linuxguy

Re: Wide screen and/or dual monitor?

dkmc said:
I'm looking at the wide 19 and 21" LCD monitors at the local Bestbuys.
The Gateway is really impressive for clarity and color.

Check out this nice Samsung 215tw or the 244t at Newegg. When I finally relace my 19" LCD that died, it will probably be a 215t.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

I really like my Samsung SyncMaster 214T (21") LCD, as the 1600x1200 resolution is really great. The extra vertical resolution is worth the money.

My wife thought she would not like anything larger than her 17" Viewsonic, but a new Samsung 204T (20") LCD changed her mind, and the rebate was great as we got the monitor for only $289. She thought that there would be trouble seeing the whole monitor, but even with her tri-focals she has not had any problems. Although I did build a lower table for her monitors so she could see them without tilting her head back too much.

Fantastic quality with the Samsung monitors and I am sold on them. I use my old 19" CRT, and my wife her old 17" CRT, as our second monitor. I am very tempted to get another Samsung SyncMaster 204T for a second monitor.

We are happy with our older and affordable MSI NX 6600 (NVIDIA GeForce 6600) video cards. Both our systems are quite reliable running these video cards and AMD Athlon 3200+ & 3000+ processors on MSI motherboards.

MikeB

I would have to concur about the Samsung monitor. I have a 204t and love it. The reason I bought the 204T after my 21" NEC crt croaked was because of a Samsung 21" crt that we have here in the office. It is on a computer that runs some monitoring software and basically hasn't been turned off in about 7 years.

I figured if that monitor was that reliable that the Samsung would be a good choice.

tgarson

Just got Dell 30" big wide monitor

This was big jump: Going from a 19" 4:3 to a 30" 16:9. For many reasons. I'm glad I did. However, like anything new, it has its bumpy spots.

Issue #1: You must have a dual-link DVI display card to access the 2560x1600 resolution. This meand a 8xAGP or PCI-x16 motherboard.

Issue#2: I had to kick the snot out of Windows XP to get it to display large enough font sizes for this big a monitor. I am still struggling with programs, including Alibre, that seem to use fixed size fonts for internal screens and assume you are using a low resolution monitor, thus making the fonts teeny on the Dell.

Issue#2.5: More whining about fonts... Some Internet web pages just are not suitable for viewing with larger than the default font sizes. They become a jumble. This is the fault of slovenly, lazy and/or incompetent web page designers. It does not have to be like that.

Issue#3: There isn't one. This thing is AWESOME for what I intended, which was to allow me to sit a yard away from my screen and see everything. This way I have space for keyboard, mouse and lots of papers and books and don't have to hunch over to see the display, thus helping to treat the tendinitis I develloped in my shoulders from all that bad posture during endles hours of working at a computer.