What's new

Will not extrude.

papajoe41

I have designed that piece as a fixture. The center is a 'cutout' section in the unit. It will not extrude. I want it to be .250" thick. When I tried it-I got a message about a 'boss'. It has passed analysis. Why?
Papajoe41

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It looks like it should work but cannot tell from a screen shot.
Right click on the Extrusion feature in the Design Explorer and select Status from the pop up menu. What does the status tell you?

IF possible can you upload the part file?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Zoom into each of the 'nodes' in the slot ends ... the left end doesn't look right (I would expect the centre 2 slot edge nodes to be in line with each other so might have an overlapping sketch figures there) and the right end, the top node looks like 2 nodes very close together and not sharing a single node.

As @HaroldL says ...
Right click on the Extrusion feature in the Design Explorer and select Status from the pop up menu. What does the status tell you?
This will tell you why the extrude failed and is flagged red.

papajoe41

That is interesting. When I made the slot, I had a square end and then added the center of the slot and used that to put a circle on the end. I watched for the tangent sign when adding the circle, I guess both sides did not show the tangent symbol. So, I can add the circle and then just put a tangent constraint between the radius and the sides of the slot. I found the design explorer as suggested and found out what the actual name of the file is. I use so many names depending on what I want to do. I will have to stop doing that.
I appreciate all the help.
papajoe41

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It's simpler, and much more reliable to round the ends of a slot using 3D fillets (tangency is automatically dealt with), rather than adding to the sketch. It's generally best to keep sketches simple, even if that means more sketches/features.

Also it's good practice to fully define the sketch - that will prevent things getting accidentally moved.