What's new

Windows 8

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Yes, it works well.
(Win 8 is Win 7 with a lot of Kindergarten-Stuff) :lol:
But I would upgrade to your "support office time", because you need a new license.

Mikaelani

I must admit to having some difficulties when using Windows 8 and Alibre. I had to enable netframework 4.5 and below manually in order to get alibre installed, and now i'm stuck with an activation that doesn't work although the technical support in my country has verified the activation key generated by alibre. :( If anyone has had the same problems, please let me know.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
When you say 'doesn't work' - waht exactly do you mean ? Any error messages?

If your in country support can't resolve, then suggest you log a support incident via Alibre web site.

BTW - have you tried running as Administrator ? First run after a licence update seems to need this.

Mikaelani

I get an error message saying:

at com.alibre.executive.license.LicenseKey.fromKeyString(String licenseKeyString)
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.checkForNodeLicenseUpdate()
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.executeLicenseKey()
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.execute()
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.Main(String[] arguments)

I have contacted the main support and tried using run as administrator

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I don't recognise that particular error message.

I'm sure Support will sort things out - but it will be several hours before the USA 'wakes up'.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If it won't install, double check that the installer download is the full size it is meant to be - downloads can time out before completion, it isn't always at all obvious that you are running an incomplete installer...

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
All the screen shots I've seen so far do not have the task bar. It seems that is for web browsing not for any serious work like Alibre. I'm going to wait intil I get more info.

baemanuel

I upgraded all my systems and AD 2012 64 works flawlessly on all of them. The only real difference is that you no longer have a “START” button it has been replace with “START SCREEN”. You still have the same desk top as you had in 7 and you can “pin” to your desktop and your task bar.

Brian E.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
The vergite is in. Not going to upgrade to Windows 8. All the reviews I have read makes me think Windows 8 for people that just want to sruff the web. and not for serous app or actual work. I feel MicroSoft really screwed up this latest version of Windows.

Jim C

So far so good with Win 8 and Alibre 2012 Expert 32 bit. Just purchased a Toshiba S833- S5378 (Intel I7) laptop (Windows 8 pre installed) and decided to try Alibre and other programs I use on it while I could still return the laptop. I certainly do not like the Metro interface and it seems like all the apps lead you to a shop to spend money. Best bet, click on the desktop and things are a bit more reasonable. A free shell called “Classic Shell” gives choices of Classic, XP, or Vista/7 styles and is pretty good.

I’ve found a few bugs that I’ve had with Alibre on XP systems to be the same on 8, kind of comforting! Things are definitely faster and Win 8 looks ok. I will be trying to put Windows 7 on it as well but 8 used the newer bios while 7 uses the old bios. I’ll see how that goes.

Maybe Microsoft will have a more “computational” interface in the future. :lol: Jim C

Andrew Roth

I have been using Alibre expert 64 on Win 8 since the consumer release.
I had zero problems with the consumer release.
Since installing the release version I have an issue with previous windows popping up when I first go into a part and click on any menu feature.
Example: Open alibre, open a part, click on a menu item or something on the history bar and the home window pops back up.
I believe alibre is aware of this issue
other then that as Ralf said its windows 7 with a new dress on.

klwill

The only problem I've seen with Windows 8 Pro is having the Home window pop up in a design window. Usually a Part window. Click on the design window and it usually disappears again.

rbarr110

Windows 8 = Windows 7 without the Start Button Menu and with less background processes running. My Win 8 setup is much faster than my Win 7 with the same hardware. People need to get past the stage of "I dont see a start button" and actually use it, you will find it works just fine.

Think of the new tiled screen like a start menu and there is still a desktop.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
No thanks. I'm sticking with my tried and true Windows 7. I'm to old to learn a kindergartner O.S. That what is wrong with our new schools. Do every thing on a computer, never mind knowing 2*4=8 just type into your computer and it will come up the answer. :evil: :evil: