What's new

Windows 8

Dcrouch9

I'm sure this has been brought up before but has anybody been running GMD on Windows 8? I'm in the market for a new laptop to replace my old one and my desktop and Win 8 is pre installed. I guess I could just clean everything off when I get it and reinstall Win 7. Any thoughts?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It works fine on Win8.

Whether you like Win8 or not is another matter - latest Win8.1 updates removes some of the silly stuff that would only ever make sense on a touch screen...

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
I'll also chime in and recommend Classic Shell to let you take back control of the Start Menu.

Heck, I even use it on my Win7 machines. Can't help it. I really, really, liked the Classic Style Menus. It's nice to get them back. :mrgreen:

Ok, this screenshot doesn't quite do it justice, since it's a fairly new install, but my laptop has all my most-used programs on the top-level menus.

Attachments

• 2014-04-14_6-14-36.png
    2014-04-14_6-14-36.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 10

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
+1 For Classic Shell. One of the first things I install now. I use that on Windows 7 to get a start menu with All Programs to not be listed between tiny scroll bars (I have a wide screen monitor why use a tiny slice of it) and also to get an Up Directory button in Windows Explorer. Why has Microsoft regressed features so much?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I would believe that excuse but they would have to stop shooting themselves in the foot with ridiculously unneeded new features first.

scotte

Thank You for the introduction to ClassicShell. My laptop came with win8 and I hated it (I don't use that word unless I have to). I have just loaded it and this should increase the life expectancy of both me and my laptop.
Scott E.