What's new

Windows XP 64 bit

vwalla

Windows XP 64 bit

I cannot seem to find any information on if Alibre 9.0 (SP1) will work on a 64 bit OS.

Is it capable? Will MSJVM work?

From what I have read, going to a 64 bit OS has better performance for this type of application.

Thanks

rbrian

Re: Windows XP 64 bit

vwalla said:
I cannot seem to find any information on if Alibre 9.0 (SP1) will work on a 64 bit OS.

Is it capable? Will MSJVM work?

From what I have read, going to a 64 bit OS has better performance for this type of application.

Thanks
Expect AD V9.0 to work in the 32-bit compatibility mode of 64-bit Os for now.

There has been much interest (on the user side) for a 64-bit version - but no announcments to the effect that it may come out, from the company side - to the last time I read the news or forum, anyway!

What we have here is a bit of chicken/egg challenge. Operating systems, and hardware are but part of the issues, but - they are being solved bit by bit. Next is company resources - limited as you can see by the anxiousnes of some users long awaited requests - not yet reaching critical mass, I guess!

Hang in there! Keep watching this thought! Check out this search on the forum - for '64-bit'
http://www.alibre.com/forum/search.php?mode=results - it should give you a good read!

Robert

amclimber

Alibre will not work with x64. I just bought a new computer that uses the x64 OS, and Alibre will not install. I tried running the OS in windows xp compatibility mode, but it still will not install. Alibre customer support informed me that Alibre is completely incompatible with X64.

rbrian

Re: Alibre & x64 OS - the definitive answer!

amclimber said:
Alibre will not work with x64.
So there we have it - no more guessing!

amclimber, have you thought of a sollution to try?
Maybe you will have to do a Dual Boot system with x64 & XP - etc.?! Robert

swertel

Alibre Super User

Did they hint if v10 would be compatible? I don't care if it is optimized, but I'd like it to install. I'm going to start shopping for a laptop and workstation in the coming months. I'm debating WinXP, WinXPx64 (preferred), or just hold out until Vista.

--Scott

indesign

Alibre Super User

Microsoft released the windows emulator free!

You can run the emulator running the normal XP and maybe it will work in it.

amclimber

This is just another reason, why alibre is not really working out for me. The number one reason is the rediculously slow operation with sketching (particularly modifying an imported dxf file). I have purchased solidworks to run on the new computer, and will access alibre when I need to on my old computer. Alibre provides a pretty nice product for a great price, but for a few thousand more, Solidworks really provides a much nicer product.