What's new

withdrawing from a repository?

mr.ska

withdrawing from a repository?

My boss has become quite fearful of the Alibre repository - fears about the Internet going down (and thereby our access), Alibre going belly up, electronic snooping... nothing that I can really calm or deny. What he's asking me to do is remove all our data from our repository.

However, I can't seem to withdraw any of our files. Am I really going to have to export each and every file individually?

I think abandoning the repository is not only ill-advised but dangerous. Any comments/stories that can help me convince him that having the Internet go down for a couple of hours is very much the lesser of two evils, please post!!

withdrawing from a repository

I put all my files at the and of the day on a Iomega harddrive and bring it home to work on this files and vice versa. Works perfect.

cclark440

Alibre Super User

Why not just move the files to a local network drive? If you are currently working from data stored on Alibre's servers, performance will increase once you move all the repositories to a local network drive.
The main advantage of the repository system that I see is the version history. You will loose that going to a windows file format.

Cameraman

I agree with Clint . . . keep the files in a local repository . . . you can either use a server or a shared area on a networked PC. The only disadvantage I have found to using the Repository is that the "creator" of the repository has to be logged in for anyone else to be able to access the files (but maybe they fixed that in v8? :idea: )

Regards,
Greg :D

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

I also think your best bet is to have local reps.

The repository is a great tool, and one of the main things (in my opinion) you would loose if you go back to the Win file system is tha ability to rename/relocate files.

In the rep, when you do that, every link in those files is updated so if you move parts around or rename them, the assemblies that use those parts will still know where they are. If you do that within the Win file system, the assemblies wont be able to find the parts.

Also, as Clint mentioned, you would loose version history (and previews).

Willbur

You can still rename/relocate files if you use the file system - when you open an assembly with broken links, you get a screen where you can "replace" the parts (basically reconnect to the new location/name, although you can select physically different parts as well). You do lose the preview and version history. I do most of my work in the file system (and will continue until there's a way to create local network repositories) because the majority of my work is done offline (no internet connection) and I need a way to share files with the other engineer without needing Alibre open on the other machine.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Thanks for the correction Wilbur!

I do use the repository and do most of my work offline, and yes, the second place in my wishlist (behind speed) is for local network repositories. :idea:

Cameraman

You *can* create repositories on a network drive, so I assume that what you are asking for is what I would call a "stand-alone" network repository (i.e., one which can be accessed by anyone with proper permissions, regardless of whether the repository creator's machine is logged into AD) . . . in which case, I heartily agree! I am just now in the process of upgrading to v8, but I have seen no indication in any of the v8 feature lists that mentions this, so I fear that I too will have to dump the repository <heavy sigh> . . .

Regards,
Greg :D

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

That's exactly what I meant. A repository on a network that can be shared with other users.

In my case, I don't care too much about permissions.

We are still on the rep because it gives so many advantages and have been sharing files using ARB's, but we will give a shot to the Win file system next week to see if:

:arrow: It improves performance speed, since the processor wont have to be reading the whole repository tree at once.

:arrow: It improves sharing ability within our group. Having one central database of files in a server and accesing them from any computer to work on.

I have been reluctant to go into the Win file system becuase I really like the way the repository works, but I do want to find out if any of the above two points is true :wink:

Willbur

I started with the repository (as that was all that was offered in v6) and still use it for concept design work at times - if the project goes farther I save the design into the file system for access by others as well. I suspect that you'll see the following:

:arrow: No real change in performance when loading parts or assemblies - it seems to load the same data whether you use the file system or repository and the files are somewhat larger (depending on the number of revisions you're looking at) in the file system.

:arrow: Improved sharing ability - the only concern is that two people can't have the same file open at the same time. Just watch when physically moving files - you'll need to keep track of where the file ended up so you can reconnect them later (you have the same problem in the repository - or at least you used to - if you move files around).

Cameraman

Yeah, I am with you, Gaspar . . . I will likely stick with the repository for a little while longer, but . . .

Since we can share repositories as long as we are all logged in, we may be able to operate just by always having AD running, but if it becomes a situation where it starts getting the way, I will just have to dump it and move on . . .

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on switching to the file system after your tests . . .

Regards,
Greg