What's new

Work Arounds

HeliDev

Work Arounds

I thought it might be a useful resource if those who had a work around for certain areas in alibre had a place to post them.
Quite often when a new problem is posted, there is a user who has a work around for it, so a new section where you could post these would be a valuable resource for users.
What do you guys think?

HeliDev

I was thinking more along the lines of a FAQ cross tutorial.
I have noticed that quite often some one will post a question, and usually some one has figured out a work around for this problem.
Im thinking more of a resource that it built up over time, so that when some one strikes a problem they can do a quick check of the work arounds to see if there is already an answer there, instead of waiting for a reply.

swertel

Alibre Super User

So do you want another forum added, or do you want an entirely new website with searchable knowledge base?

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Sounds like a great idea!

It could be like a "tips and tricks" new section.

If that grows into a searchable knowledge base, would be defined by the amount and quality of the data, but for a starter, a new section in the forum could do.

swertel

Alibre Super User

A searchable database isn't possible, to my knowledge, in these forums. A new database would have to be created on the Alibre sight, probably in the support area.

In terms of a new forum, how should it be moderated?
:arrow: Should any user be able to create a new thread?
:arrow: Or should the Alibre/Moderator Teams be the only ones that can post?
:arrow: If the latter, how will the Team member be notified that a specific topic should be added.
:arrow: Should all threads have a poll, the same poll for each thread, that asks users to rank the value of the thread?

As far as modifying a post for corrections or updates, I think a PM to the thread originator or Team member should suffice.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hey Scott,

This is a PHPBB forum and as far as I know also (not being an expert) there is no option for a data base, although the forum uses an SQL license to operate.

Anyway, a nice form for making at least a "manual" of workarounds or tricks would be to have a section in the forum where we could all post our findings, have them discussed, reviewed and refined by the rest of the group and finally have a moderator pick from there what should be included in the "manual".

This manual could be 2 ways:

1) A "locked" (read only) section in the forum where the final, reviewed methods would be posted under an appropiate subject (not necesarily the same as the original thread, but one that would make searching easy).

2) A PDF version posted in the binaries for download and printing.

swertel

Alibre Super User

Well, the Using AD and General Discussions are the places where findings (i.e. workarounds) are first noted based on answers to specific questions. If a particular answer is found exceptionally helpful, then forum members could PM a Team member and that Team member could summarize the question and answer. Better yet, just reply within the thread to include a specific post into the "manual.' That way, others know that a specific answer has been nominated and can chime in if desired. A moderator could "clean up" all those nomination posts from the original thread.

This seems like a workable process, although a little cludgie. Let's sit on this for a week to see if any other forum members have good ideas to add and I'll contact Alibre to see what they may be able to provide in terms of mediums beyond this forum.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Ok for me :wink:

The only comment would be that some members could have nice "workarounds" that they would like to share just for the sake of sharing or as a way to get input and refinment, not necesarily as a direct answer to a question.

It is in this regard that I liked HeliDev's original idea.

That's why I proposed two sections. One public for posting and discussing and a second "read only" where the outcome of the discussions, which would be refined methods, are listed by a moderator.