What's new

Working on Threads, Actual Threaded Parts, with Alibre Atom3D and Printing Them!

silver2row

I have a very old 3D printer (2016) but in my experience 3D printed threads would fail quite quickly in real life use. I would have thought the brass inserts would be far better. (just my view)
Jim
Mine is from 2015. I purchased the PrintrBot 1403. Since its inception of the mfg. build, I have altered it a bunch. Now, I can print the 450mm * 152mm * 400mm. I am still working on the 152mm Y_Axis now. It is goin' to take some plates basically to extend the Y_Axis. I just need to do it right. I botched the X_Axis with my lack of reasoning and/or thought out processes. Anyway, I updated to an i3 recently for quicker printing and more fine-tuned printing. Smaller printer (now) but works well.

Seth

P.S. And yes sir, the 3D Printing for threading in my view is really for aesthetics and not particularly for real world applications.

Hilmi

Hi,

Thank you all for your responses, they are very helpful. Now regarding the durability of 3D printed threads, you need to look at a few factors:
1) Material used and print parameters
2) Use case scenario
3) Design fit for purpose

I have a solar filter holder for my telescope that I designed and 3D printed in 2018 I think, or maybe it was 2017. It's still going strong. Big chunk threads for the thumb screws and printed in PETG. This was way before threaded inserts where common knowledge in the 3D printing community. I printed in in PETG and had extra perimeters making it stronger. Also, inserting threaded inserts on a curved surface while maintaining alignment is hard. Maybe I went too far also 3D printing the screws, but it worked and saved me a trip to the hardware store. Nowadays, I don't use 3D printed threads as much, but occasionally I do have to.