What's new

Working on two screens

Hunter

Hi,

Perhaps this is a Windows issue, but I cannot get persistent behaviour of new windows opening up on the same screen.Like most users I use a laptop, but have a larger external screen on which I do my CAD work. How do I get Alibre Parts, Assemblies, etc., to always open on the external screen?

William

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I've not tried that specifically but I use w program called Display Fusion with custom triggers to move any opening window to the monitor my mouse is on. There are hundreds of settings and options so it probably can do what you're asking. I'll test today and let you know.

https://www.displayfusion.com/

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I tested and the following DisplayFusion trigger worked for me. Note: This is not available in the free version of DisplayFusion.
upload_2019-12-3_8-30-3.png

Hunter

Thanks for checking, I'm going to try their trial version. Personally I'm not a big fan of yet another piece of software to solve something that should work as expected, but I'll also do more research on the Windows front itself too.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I use it on all my PCs because it has many things I like for multiple monitors (including the previously mentioned). For example taskbars on multiple monitors in Windows 7. Supports the Classic Shell / Open Shell replacement start menu. Prevent mouse from sticking in corners of unaligned monitors. Different wallpapers on different monitors.

JST

Alibre Super User
I have found o the Dell laptop and Win 7, that if I drag an "open" program to the other screen, it will always open there if that screen is available, until dragged back.

Evidently you do not see that behavior?

Hunter

It looks like if I launch Alibre on the my external screen from the Taskbar/Start on that screen, then it opens the main program (the splash screen thing) and children windows on that screen. That at least makes sense. I did however find that some windows popped up on my other screen, but that seems to be related to my workflow (see steps below), for that specific window. I guess what happens is that I move windows around as I work and maximise/restore and then kill windows as required, an then get unexpected behaviour the next time I open a part/assy to work on it.

I read on another non-CAD forum that you must maximise and then restore the window on your preferred screen, then kill it. If you launch again, it will open the window on the screen on which you killed it. This seems to work but I haven't tested it extensively, here are the steps:

1. Open the application.
2. Re-size the window so that it is not maximized or minimized.
3. Move the window to the monitor you want it to open on by default.
4. Close the application. Do not re-size prior to closing.
5. Open the application.
It should open on the monitor you just moved it to and closed it on.
6. Maximize the window.

I have not yet looked at fiddling with options in Nvidia Desktop Manager, leaving that for now, just changing one parameter at a time. There are also options in Win10 that adjust window positions automatically that seems to affect where windows pop up, so I need to look at that too.

Last edited:

tyc

Alibre windows show up on my right side monitor which is in 90degree vertical position, no matter I do, it doesn't care if it is primary or secondary monitor.
All dialog boxes pop up on the left side monitor.

Everything used to work okay with windows placement, but this weird behavior happens for a month or so.

Firefox and Notepad remember which monitor I left them, and they open up in the respective monitor next time. So this indicates to me that the issue has been on Alibre side.

Very frustrated trying all available help over the internet. I don't want to install any third party app, bloating my system, as everything used to work fine previously. Haven't had any change with my hardware. My PC has same configuration, I am using the same monitors connected using the same cables to the same ports as they were.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I have macros that move Alibre windows for a similar purpose. I can explain the process and code if you want. The compiled code is a small exe file. You'll need to trigger it somehow.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I also use Displayfusion Pro. It can be configured to be lightweight and only function on specific applications. I turn off all the features and mostly use triggers and functions.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
@tyc I understand your pain and is sharing some possible solutions. I spent days if not a week trying to get windows to open on the correct monitor reliably. With 3 monitors it was even harder with a center monitor, and two vertical on each side.

Last edited:

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I had nView on my 3 monitor machine, View is newer and looks better. I couldn’t use nView because I needed a way for my setup to work on AMD GPUs.

Last edited:

Cator

Alibre windows show up on my right side monitor which is in 90degree vertical position, no matter I do, it doesn't care if it is primary or secondary monitor.
All dialog boxes pop up on the left side monitor.

Everything used to work okay with windows placement, but this weird behavior happens for a month or so.

Firefox and Notepad remember which monitor I left them, and they open up in the respective monitor next time. So this indicates to me that the issue has been on Alibre side.

Very frustrated trying all available help over the internet. I don't want to install any third party app, bloating my system, as everything used to work fine previously. Haven't had any change with my hardware. My PC has same configuration, I am using the same monitors connected using the same cables to the same ports as they were.
Hi @tyc,
I had the same problem as you.
1)Open a new part in Alibre on your favorite screen.
2) Create a sketch that allows you to reposition the dialog box to the desired location.
3)Save the new part with a name of your choice and close the part.
Alibre will save the position of the function window on your default screen and will be correct the next time you launch it.
Regards,
Francesco

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
@tyc I understand your pain and is sharing some possible solutions. I spent days if not a week trying to get windows to open on the correct monitor reliably. With 3 monitors it was even harder with a center monitor, and two vertical on each side.
I should clarify... It took me days trying to fix windows opening correctly when using other tools.

But macros and DisplayFusion took only minutes to an hour to get fully setup the way I wanted. This work was in 2019. DisplayFusion and software today is much better.