What's new

Working with (thread-) holes

At least in V24, the holes do not function as expected. The expected approach would be activate sketch mode and the surface and then click the thread hole button. Noting happens, the face stays selected. The select button underlaid with blue is active, but actually wrong.
I have to have the sketch mode deactivated, then press the (thread-)hole button. The part rotates for the front facing me and goes into sketch mode. Now the insert hole button is shown. Without this - there is no way to proceed. then the insert hole menu pops up. I have to move to the face I want, and click with the select cursor on it. I'd be interested for the positioning now. The dimension tool is selectable, but doesn't become active. I have to close the insert hole popup. The sketch mode is also unselected with this step, meaning the dimension tool is not available any more. Going into sketch mode again, doesn't make the dimension tool available for the hole(s). Further investigation showed that the dimension tool from the top menu works while the one from the side menu is not working.
Edit the holes in the tree view is similarly disappointing. Two things don't work as expected. First you may want to have the cone on the other side of the hole. Reverse the start surface makes the cone flip from in-to to out-of, except that there is no material. So then you'd want to go the other way, which also doesn't work. .. change the start surface. The start surface can be selected in the menu but not edited. It also cannot be re-selected. So the holes have to be on and from the right surface. The (thread-)source is somewhat not explained. I understand the concept with the diameters. But the purpose is not apparent. I found the thread-source has to be set to "major" to actually fit the screw after a 3D print.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
The hole tool has always been a little odd in its use since the feature must be made before the sketch.
The following enhancements for the hole tool were made in v25.

Exit Sketch Mode in Hole Tool​

Exit Sketch Mode has been disabled while in the Hole tool. The proper way to complete the sketch and finalize the Hole is to press OK in the Hole dialog.

Reference Figures for Hole Tool​

Reference Lines, Circles, and Arcs are now available when sketching inside the Hole tool.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The dimension tool is selectable, but doesn't become active. I have to close the insert hole popup.

That's not quite true - after you click to place the first hole, there is now something in the sketch available to dimension (you can't use the dimension tool if there is nothing in the sketch). You can dimension whilst the hole dialogue is still active, though it can be easier to wait until after holes are inserted then close the tool and edit the sketch associated with the hole feature.

The start surface can be selected in the menu but not edited.
The start surface can be changed, you have to click the select icon (by default icon is the 'place hole' one) - you can then click to select new starting face, cursor changes to 'place hole' one and you can place the hole.