What's new

Would anyone care if we removed this...

JST

Alibre Super User
Never used the icon access. Do not even use the ribbon. You may kill it with fire, strong acids, or hemlock, just as you please.

I presume the ability to use the menus will remain, as I find the ribbon to be annoying and unproductive.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
They would still be available in the menu, just not the ribbon.
Why remove from one system and not the other?

I use the ribbon, but as there is less functionality in it then the menus ... now this ... why not just get rid of the ribbon completely and focus design/dev effort on a single system, i.e Menu bars!?

Don't use the split view much because, a) select screws up in my version (i belevie this is fixed in 2019), b) the main advantage of split view, as in MOI 3D, is that I thought it would make 3D sketches easier to create and edit ... but it doesn't. You still have to use the triad thing or rotate through axis.

So, for me, remove it. JUST MAKE THE MENUS BETTER! :)

H-L-Smith

I can't say that I use the split screen feature, but I should. If split screen can be made to work correctly, I'd keep it even if it's just a menu-accessible item rather than an icon on the interface. All the others can be removed as far as I'm concerned.

trevithick

If you are referring to those specific tools, then only some of them occasionally, though like other I never use Split Screen.

Just as when Microsoft introduced the Ribbon to Office back in 2007, we power users hated it, myself included. I used keyboard shortcuts a lot, and new the menu. As I got to know it, it became logical and beneficial. It made teaching others easier as well. Novices loved it. Now, a dozen years later, I love the Ribbon.

I admittedly don't use Alibre often, and I have never spent the time to become good with it. Therefore, the Ribbon is exceedingly helpful to me, versus the Menu which power and daily users would prefer. Any means to make the UI more user friendly garners you loyal customers as new users can learn user the graphical Ribbon, and if desired, transition to only the Menu.

I say keep it for those of use who are not daily drivers. Those who don't use it can always hide it.

tk1247

View attachment 27223

Thinking about some UI cleanup. Does anyone use these?

I don't use these that are pictured much, but please retain the ribbon icons for zoom to fit, etc. Never used multiple or split screens, and the mouse is plenty good enough for scroll wheel zoom, pan, etc.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
View attachment 27223

Thinking about some UI cleanup. Does anyone use these?

Go ahead and kill them and replace them with something more useful.
For Pan, Rotate and Zoom I have my 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator and the wheel on the mouse. I checked out Split View once and never saw any use for it. I can get to the Home window from the Windows Task Bar and I don't use Arrange Windows.

BTW, I use the Ribbon all the time with only an occasional trip to the menus. I find the ribbon quicker than having to click on a menu then travel down the list to the item I want and then maybe to a fly-out or two. But, everyone has their preferred workflows.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
"KILL IT WITH FIRE" with added brimstone. Take out the whole species. (read: ribbon):eek: Happy now, Max?
Naw, leave the ribbon for those who grew up with it. Linus would miss his blanket too.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Why remove from one system and not the other?

I use the ribbon, but as there is less functionality in it then the menus ... now this ... why not just get rid of the ribbon completely and focus design/dev effort on a single system, i.e Menu bars!?
Ribbon or menus Ugh... Should never have gone down the ribbon route in the first place IMO. The old style customisable toolbars are great. Hope they remain an option forever.:)