What's new

Would anyone care if we removed this...

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I don't use ribbon, but I use the Pan, Rotate, and Zoom commands occasionally when creating named views and I want to precisely do only 1 of the 3.

I would think Pan, Rotate, and Zoom are pretty useful for new users to find though. And horizontal screen space on my screen resolution is abundant.

The other 3 could probably be scrubbed from the entire program - I never found the Split, Home, or Arrange functions to be useful.

swertel

Alibre Super User
I can't say that I've ever seen those buttons before.
(Double checks his 3D Connexion device. Nope, definitely not there.)

domcm

@Max

I don't use them as long as the old view toolbar option is available. That said, for new users, particularly those using a laptop without a mouse, I think you may get a lot of support phone calls on basic view manipulation if they are removed. If you only have a trackpad on your laptop, view manipulation can be challenging if you are not familiar with the old file menu or keyboard shortcuts.

How about adding the view manipulation commands to the quick access toolbar?

I do appreciate you polling the user base before you make changes like this.

quick_access_toolbar.png

albie0803

Alibre Super User
They can go. Never use them, my 3 button mouse has always been enough and I don't use split view much.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
They can go, but leave the ribbon, people who do not like the ribbon can choose not to use it.

We actually decided to remove both the ribbon and the menu. We're moving to a new voice-prompt system. You address it similarly to Alexa. For example, "Alibre, extrude sketch four two point three seven five millimeters minus D seven along the y axis in the positive direction." It should make everyone happy. Old menu commands will be accesible via the Left CTRL+Escape+F12+Right Shift + H precursor for maximum convenience.

Should have saved it for April 1. Oh well :D

Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
Left CTRL+Escape+F12+Right Shift + H precursor
will it be user customisable? Today my shortcut to the splitwindow function is "Left CTRL+Escape+F12+Right Shift + H precursor + Number 1 to 4 and middle mousewheel for position...":confused::D

Max

Administrator
Staff member
While we're at it - what about (from the ribbon):

1) Selection Filters
2) Notes in 3D models
3) Redlines in 3D models

same thing - would have in menu but not exposed in ribbon

MilesH

Alibre Super User
If the default Selection was Faces, Edges and Vertices, there might be less need to access the Selection Filter?

idslk

Alibre Super User
What is your workflow that requires this often?
during the design process i take a look at the design without planes, axes and dimensions, think over and resume with the design.
I find it easier to switch filters with the mouse than doing that with "ctrl + shift + P"...

Max

Administrator
Staff member
during the design process i take a look at the design without planes, axes and dimensions, think over and resume with the design.
I find it easier to switch filters with the mouse than doing that with "ctrl + shift + P"...

Ah, ok that's a bit different than selection filters, which are these:
upload_2019-3-25_11-52-19.png