What's new

Wrap Function Problem

rralston

Guys, I am trying to make a cam track theoritically machined from bar stock. I thought the wrap function would be perfect for this design given that I could control the entry and exit points. However, as you can see the slopes and radiuses are not accurate and are twisted making it unusable. Also, If I try to wrap the entire diameter the feature fails.
I could use some suggestions for this part design.
Thanks

Attachments

• CAM WRAP DRAWING.PNG
    CAM WRAP DRAWING.PNG
    39.4 KB · Views: 36
  • CAM DRAWING.PNG
    CAM DRAWING.PNG
    19.9 KB · Views: 35

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I think you will find that it is an illusion. The drawing of the cylinder is only correct at its closest point when viewed perpendicular to the surface.
If you were able to rotate it, the view would always be correct at the closest point.
A correctly drawn thread seems to warp as it wraps away from you. Its the same thing, the view is only correct at the closest point.

Not being able to wrap completely is a known limitation. You can clean it up by doing a small extrude cut along the cylinder. Just remember you need to do it in a flat section of the track (as in your sketch).

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think you will find that it is an illusion. The drawing of the cylinder is only correct at its closest point. If you were able to rotate it, the view would always be correct at the closest point.
And viewing it perpendicular to the surface.