What's new

Wrap function with draft?

Willis123

I am designing a candy bar mold of which the top of the bar is a long large radius. I want to "sink" in lettering and design to a constant depth into the top surface using the Wrap function. That works great but I would also like to add a little draft to make the mold release easier. I will make the final mold from an elastic rubber but I think it might work better with a draft. The wrap function doesn't have that capability - is there a work around?
Even the Draft function won't work as it needs a neutral plane to figure the draft from. My lettering and design have sides all over the place not related to any plane.

Attachments

• Stone Soup Chocolate bar.AD_PRT
    6.3 MB · Views: 11

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You can use the sketch plane as the neutral plane for the draft -- that is if it was possible to draft the text. It has so many small faces and sharp corners that I don't think it will be possible to draft. Maybe a different font, one that doesn't create so many faces and sharp corners.

1678178383457.png

Ken226

Alibre Super User
How firm are you set on that font?

This isn't hard at all if you use a font with smoother lines and no sharp edges.

1678200918732.png

Willis123

I'm not set on the font at all. I'll try something more simple or maybe draw my own letters. I see you used a chamfer instead of a draft. WIll I get the intended outcome either way? Thanks for the clues!:)

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I'm not set on the font at all. I'll try something more simple or maybe draw my own letters. I see you used a chamfer instead of a draft. WIll I get the intended outcome either way? Thanks for the clues!:)

They draft and chamfer will probably handle the corners a little differently, it just depends on your preference. Also, you may run into circumstances where chamfer works, and draft doesn't, or vise versa.

I didn't sketch the letters in my example, i just used the Text tool, in the 2d sketch environment. It has several hundred fonts to choose from, but some have lots of sharp corners and will land you in the same situation as before.

Attachments

• CandyBar.AD_PRT
    3.3 MB · Views: 0