What's new

X-CAD Revealed as Alibre Design Xpress

gregmilliken

X-CAD Revealed as Alibre Design Xpress

Hi All,

Well, the rumors you have heard are true. Alibre is behind X-CAD, although this was just a placeholder name for the initial 100,000 seat giveaway contest.

When launched on August 1 – I say when rather than if, because there is no doubt we will make the goal of 100,000 -- the product will be called Alibre Design Xpress.

It is not a trial, there is no time limit and aspects of all the major subsystems of the product (i.e., parts, assemblies and drawings) will be included. It will also be possible to pass files between Xpress and the other members of the Alibre Design product family. Of course, there are a number of features and capabilities not included in Xpress as compared to our other products, and the way you get these additional features is to purchase one of our existing products at its current price.

More details are provided on the new site http://www.alibre.com/xpress and I am happy to engage in an ongoing discussion on what this means for all of us.

We believe Alibre Design Xpress will only mean good things. This is the way that Alibre is going to touch an order of magnitude greater number of people. The opportunity to radically change our business and the market -- and dramatically accelerate the pace of enhancement in Alibre Design -- is right before us.

One of our challenges has always been how to break through the noise in the market, and the barriers created by the larger vendors, and get more people to experience our technology. This industry is strangely, and self-destructively, resistant to change and new ideas. Established vendors are allowed to dictate customer-hostile policies like forced product retirements/upgrades and encrypted file formats. We’re not accepting that. Think of the famous line shouted by Howard Beale, the character played by Peter Finch in the movie Network, “I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE.” We want everyone in the industry to stand up and shout that!

Ok, maybe that is a little much, but seriously, many simply don’t want to believe that a product like Alibre Design is for real. The way to convince them it is for real -- and for us to learn more from the market -- is to get it into their hands, and that is what we are doing with Alibre Design Xpress.

As you can see the contest has been a tremendous success. 100,000 registrants in less than two months is astounding. It is our intention that this will change the market for 3D mechanical modeling, and you all have been and continue to be key participants in that vision. 100,000 is just the start; add another zero to that number and imagine what that means. We are committed to truly bringing 3D to everyone, whether you’re a hobbyist, a home user, a student, or an experienced engineer at a Fortune 500 company.

Get ready for the ride. You all have critical roles in a movement that has the potential to change the market. I hope you are all as excited as we are.

On a related note, at first we have created a separate forum for Alibre Design Xpress registrants and users because we did not want to clutter this forum with a lot of people just dabbling or who are not serious users. However, we believe this community is directly connected to all of us so based on your feedback we are happy to consider merging the forums in the near future if it makes sense. Also, your user name and password for this forum will work on the Xpress forum too, and vice versa.

Regards,
Greg Milliken
President and CEO
Alibre, Inc.

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

How many parts are assemblies limited to?
What happens if you open a full version alibre assembly that is to big, in express?
I'd like it to open the assembly, measure and spin, but allow no edits!
I guess I'm asking if express can be a "viewer" for Alibre.

WOW, all those annoymous wierdo's expressing their disgust on the express forum. They didn't even see the product yet!
Can you track their ISPs to Dessault, UG, Autodesk, PTC?

I'm not sure how the express and this forum interact, but my login is valid for the express forum and I can see the profiles of all users from there (including those here). Perhaps the registrant details for express and this forum should be separated while there are clearly people in the express forum who might want to cause problems in any way they can.
Quite why I'm not sure.
They ain't even got a look in the mouth of the gift horse yet!

KQ

One question, the screenshots appear to show something like google adverts in the interface. Is this the case?

KQ

Doh! I should read the reviews on the site first! Yes is the case and for $49 to clear them is a bargain!

swertel

Alibre Super User

I have a few more pointed questions.

How does Alibre's business model handle development of two distinct CAD package? UGS and Dassault handle it (UG/Solid Edge and CATIA/SolidWorks) by treating them like two separate companies. I don't think Alibre's business can function like that.

How do I know my maintenance dollars go towards the development of Alibre Design and not Xpress (with the understanding that a development for one may benefit both)?

I didn't see anything that stated Xpress offers that same Alibre Assistant. Will all these extra hobbiest interfere with my ability to get help when I need it on a professional, time (=money) critical job?

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Greg (and all),

I just reviewed the other forum and I am absolutely disapointed.

I just can't beleive those guys and their nonsense :shock:

This forum is an outstanding community in my opinion. A place with friends who share interesting points of view and have fun doing so. I, by no means, want to be selective but after what I just read, I would recommend not to merge the forums.

Some of us can commit (I would) to watch the other forum and help people out, but I do think that at least at this point, merging the forums would only litter this nice place with posts about people complaining about getting adds in an unbelievably wonderful gift :?

My 2 cents

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

About this strategy Greg, I support your aggresiveness 100%.

I don't have a feeling (or any knowledge) about marketing, but if your team feels this is the way to go, I wish nothing but success to you :D

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

Just want to repeat my concern that registration details from this forum seem to be available in the express forum.
All users!
You might want to review the information in your profile for the time being given the nature of postings in the xpress forum.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Thanks Moyesboy, I just hid my email address and web page.

I don't mind sharing my personal info here, but I do mind doing it over there.

don

Encouraged by Our Customers

Alibre Customers,

I can speak from the inside of this company that we take great pride in you as our customers who we consider partners. I think each of you realizes the challenges of being in the CAD industry overall and our team here is greatly encouraged by our measurement of success - delighting you, our customers.

Our ear is to the ground for your feedback and continued partnering. Some of you have already testified to the level of novel service you have received from us in your use of Alibre and we appreciate you sharing that. Thanks again.

jemmej

Let me summarize for you what I've seen...

1. Many are excited to get free 3D CAD software.

2. A few are calling it a scam.

3. Some are varied from annoyed to disappointed to angry for the following reasons....

A. No mention of an internet connection being necessary were part of the requirements listed. (As an aside, Windows OS could equal Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, et al....is Alibre support on all of these platforms...plus, what type of graphics card is required? and graphics memory size?)

B. No mention of the GoogleAds involved. This is a total misread of the environment associated with on-line advertisements. The general user populace WILL acccept them when free software is involved BUT, you need to be extremely up front about it. You weren't.

C. This was marketed heavily as NOT a strip-downed version and compares favorably with leading parametric CAD modelling packages. Some advertised features (such as shells) are not supported in this package. (As an aside, PLEASE stop comparing yourself as equals...no one expects equal, they expect almost as good, but your marketing people are a bit over-zealous. A straight, no, we don't have some of the features of SW and SE, but we do have all the essential ones, plus industry leading collaboration and an included PDM package AND we cost 1/3 to 1/5 as much would go over much better imho).

D. A lack of understanding just how they will benefit as early registrants (before August 1st) compared to someone else who will just show up later.

E. For those not already knowing Alibre, they don't know you from Jim's CAD Shop, so there isn't a grace period when they see these things to then trust you and your claims.

That's a pretty good summary (imo).

I can't help but feel that this would have worked a lot better as a straight marketing announcment with the free version with GoogleAds, the $50 non-add version and a limited supply of free upgrades to the non-add version. A similar ammount of press (even more so probably) and with all of the details that you are getting hit with, out in the open (specs, etc.).

Just my MORE than $.02 :)

Jim

thpope

That's an excellent summary. Thanks.

I will also say that some posts in the xpress forum that were removed have caused even more suspicion. I would advise against removing any posts unless they are truly indecent, vulgar or spam. Complaining should be allowed. You have the right to remove what you want, but only on your forums. People will vent their frustrations on every open forum there is. I think you'd want to have them on yours so at least other people can see your responses.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

Gaspar said:
Thanks Moyesboy, I just hid my email address and web page.

I don't mind sharing my personal info here, but I do mind doing it over there.

I hate to do it, but I am going to do the same I wish the two forums were not linked. Please let me know if the link is broken.

gregmilliken

Posts on Xpress

Alibre Customers,

I really apologize for the posts on Xpress in this forum. This is intended as a place for you, not a venting place for people on Xpress. That is what the Xpress forum is intended for.

We are looking at separating the forums, and then if necessary will require that one have a valid customer ID to view and post on this forum.

I hate to do that, but it may be necessary. Hang in there, one does not change an industry without endurance.

Greg Milliken

swertel

Alibre Super User

With all the garbage he has to put up with, even allusions to personal slander, he is still optimistic and courteous to his customers. What a guy!

The two forums are now split. Only those who posted in the xpress forum still have accounts on that forum. The memberlist on the xpress forum will be independent. If you are listed on the xpress forum memberlist you may modify your profile to hide your information and it will not affect your current profile on this main user forum. Also, if you would like to post on the new xpress forum you may do so, however you will be required to register.

Thank you,
Alibre Forum Administrator

wfpelletier

Hang in there, Greg..

I have heard the news about Alibre Express, and I would like to congratulate both Mr. Milliken and all of Alibre for their boldness in distributing Alibre Express. Do not let the complainers bring you down. From what I have read about the software, I think what you are doing is both farsighted and brave. I think it is amazing that people can download a parametric design software for free, even if it does not have the full power of Alibre. I am frankly dumbfounded that there are actually people complaining about it.

I expect that once people start using the software, you will probably get more praise than complaints. A particular segment of the CAD market that this can address are hobbyists and woodworkers. (I frankly think that this market segment has been largely ignored by the mainstream CAD industry.) I think there are a lot of people in these fields that would like to use a CAD system to design projects, but have found them either too expensive, too hard to learn, or both.

I personally am looking forward to learning more about Alibre Express, and seeing how it opens the parametric CAD field to home users. To Greg and the rest of Alibre, keep up the good work, and HOLD YOUR COURSE.

Sincerely,
wfpelletier

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

administrator said:
The two forums are now split. Only those who posted in the xpress forum still have accounts on that forum. The memberlist on the xpress forum will be independent. If you are listed on the xpress forum memberlist you may modify your profile to hide your information and it will not affect your current profile on this main user forum. Also, if you would like to post on the new xpress forum you may do so, however you will be required to register.

Thank you,
Alibre Forum Administrator

OK. Now I wish I had never posted on the xpress forum. Is there a way to get off of the xpress forum and keep my account on this forum? I don't want to delete my account on the xpress forum only to find that it also deletes my account on this forum.

gregmilliken

deleting account from Xpress without losing this one

Hey jwk,

The accounts are split now, so I suggest hiding your profile info in the Xpress forum now if you cannot delete it entirely yourself.

We may need to perform the actual complete deletion of the account, but if you want it done we'll do it ASAP.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Greg