What's new
luneta fija para torno.jpg
HaroldL

luneta fija para torno.jpg

Model from one of the T. Carreras Soto collection of drawing albums. They were done in the 1950's from what I could find out. I titled the image with the Spanish name from the drawing and according to Google Translate in English it is: fixed lunette for lathe.
Reactions: Stu3d
Very cool!

I started out on a little metric lathe my wife bought me for christmas. It didn't have enough spindle bore to do barrel work through the headstock.

Thats a great looking steady rest. I love the hammered texture finish. Excellent work!

I use mine alot. As you can see, I've worn about 1/4" off the fingers of my current steady rest, And this lathe has plenty of spindle bore. :)

I forgot to mention, I'm a Spanish speaker. Luneta fija para torno doesn't translate directly into the English names for these items.

The literal translation Luneta fija para torno, is fixed window for turnstile. Where in Spanish, the luneta (window) is the word also used for a steady rest.
Also, the same word (torno) is used word for turnstile and lathe. Incidentally, a little torno (tornillo), is a screw. In Castilian Spanish anyway.

Thanks for the comments, Ken. I kind of suspect there is some "guess work" for Google Translate so the names likely do not have a correct translation. The finish I applied is a Hammertone paint that I downloaded from the KeyShot Cloud library that I can access from within KeyShot Pro. I don't know it that is available with the KeyShot for CAD version from Alibre, if that's what you have.

I don't recall seeing that hammertone in my version of keyshot, but there's a lot of stuff there so it would have been easy to miss. I'll look for it next time I use it.

Yea, the problem with computer based translation is that a lot of it misses context.
Kinda like the word for a jack. In English, it's a proper noun or a device to lift a car while changing a flat tire. "Embarazada" gets a lot of non Spanish speakers. It doesn't mean embarrassed.

In Spanish, you would use a gato (cat) to either lift your car to change a flat, or catch mice in the barn, depending on context.

Media information

Album
T. Carreras Soto Models
Added by
HaroldL
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename