What's new

Recent content by alan-bc

1. A

Center of mass

Yes, that's pretty much what I was looking for! Many thanks! I'm a genuine Alibre newby. I purchased Atom some years ago and upgraded to Design last year, but I just can't seem to switch away from my old CAD package. I know without a doubt that Alibre is much much better, but after almost 20...
  2. A

Center of mass

I have some steel plates, roughly "ell" shaped. Think big fat "L". I need to paint them and want to drill a hole in the plates to hang them for painting/drying. I'd like to have the plates hang more or less straight up and down. If they were rectangular, no big deal. But as they're an...
  3. A

Reasonable STL export settings

Thanks! And wow, as simple as that; don't bother with two of the settings and set the third to what would seem to be a wee bit coarse. I have to admit, it outputs a file so quickly I wasn't sure it actually did anything and the STL looks just like what I hope it should. Thanks again.
  4. A

Reasonable STL export settings

After owning Alibre for three years and never using it even once (too comfortable with my old CAD program, I suppose), I actually created my first drawing today! It's a very simply part to adapt a Shopvac hose to a standard built-in vacuum pipe. Circle - new plane - smaller circle (to give me...
  5. A

Change to size or position of 2D object after feature creation .. possible?

The Equation Editor seems, on the surface, to be a good thing. But having played with it for a couple of minutes, I'm less sure of the value. For example, when I opened it up on my simple test drawing, I found 5 things with a dimension of 1" named D1, D2, D4, D7 and D23. One of them was the...
  6. A

Yes, I would have to say that I know at least one way, and likely two ways, to do the thing I want to do. Thanks to all who've replied.
  7. A

Thanks for the tip! The key here (which took me a couple of minutes to clue in to) is to double-click on the feature, which in this example is not the circle but the cylinder. Good tip. Alan
  8. A

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I watched the videos, over and over, perhaps too many times, ending up confused. I was able to figure out the 3D fillet .. I was selecting the wrong "items", a throwback to a different CAD program. As to the RMB Edit, I was attempting this after 2D sketching was...
  9. A

New Alibre user here who's spent a lot of time watching training videos. I drew a rectangle, 2" x 2". I extruded it to make an object 2" x 2" x .5" I selected the 2" x 2" face and drew a 1" diameter circle in the middle of the face. I did a cut, resulting in a cylindrical hole through the...