What's new

Recent content by jswendell

1. J

STP defect

AP242 made the flaw even more dramatic. I redesigned the part from scratch and that eliminated the error. The only significant difference in the way I designed the two versions of the part is my thread cleanup operation. In the first instance, I used additive revolve. In the second, I replaced...
  2. J

STP defect

A part that looks fine in Alibre, looks broken in the Xometry viewer when exported as STEP. Is this an irrelevant glitche in the xometry viewer or evidence that the part is defective somehow?
  3. J

In pursuit of perfect threads

I guess that's a Design Expert only feature not available on Atom?
  4. J

I had an irritating time replicating your work. I don't understand why you would do it this way. I like all my sketches to be self constrained (necessary for making copies) but the way you've done it, the sketch has to be drawn in position, fairly precisely or everything goes haywire as I'm...
  5. J

I see that there are a few subtle differences between this and my threads. I used P/5 for my chamfers and this standard is asymmetrical using P/8 and P/4. Also I was using a 1mm pitch when 2mm is already considered fine thread for 30mm nominal diameter. So I have made both those changes. Thanks.
  6. J

For some reason switching the profile orientation to "normal" caused an overlap error. I was forced to add .0867 to my pitch to fix it which ruined the threads, rendering my design useless. So I redesigned it, dividing the trough. That didn't eliminate the overlap error, but it restored my...
  7. J

Thank you sir for the important correction!
  8. J

I would like some feedback on my thread design and the tolerance I have chosen. I'll be printing using SLS in nylon 12. The o.d. of the male part is 30.55mm before I add the thread. The picture shows how I have put the trough of my thread profile tangent to the cylinder surface. The pitch is...
  9. J

Threads cause slowdown

I hadn't noticed that the "dynamic" section views existed. That's going to save me so much trouble! Thank you!
  10. J

Threads cause slowdown

Thanks for the tips! I did not realize the pattern feature was so versatile.
  11. J

Threads cause slowdown

I understand now that threads must be used sparingly (by those of us not sitting behind a super computer), and yet they are, in many situations, indispensable. In my opinion, this is a pretty serious problem/limitation that apparently no-one in CAD has bothered to solve. Yet there are obvious...
  12. J

Threads cause slowdown

None of the pages you linked to actually explain what a "cosmetic thread" is or under what circumstances I would use them and why. It this point though, I am only curious, because I WILL be printing these parts (and Ex Machina revealed above that their use is inapplicable to printing) and also...
  13. J

Threads cause slowdown

I did not know there was even such a thing as "cosmetic threads". The manual has almost zero information on this. What is the best way for me to learn what cosmetic threads are and how to use them?
  14. J

Threads cause slowdown

I don't know how to thank you, but thank you! And I thought I was making it easy for myself by using one long helical cut. o_O
  15. J

Threads cause slowdown

I expected to find the graphics controls under "System Options". I eventually found them under "Properties" and set everything to the fastest settings. Even so this part is bringing my system to it's knees. I don't understand why. It's a simple part. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing with this...