What's new

Recent content by laverne3ca

1. L

Cut normal to curve

the wrap works well, I just needed to calculate the ellipse dimensions first and the cut is normal to the surface, just what I needed.
  2. L

Dimensioning curves by arc length?

A requirement for exactly this came up for me today, calculating the major axis of an ellipse that had to be laser cut in a tube to produce a round hole on the ID for a round part crossing the tube, perpendicular to the axis of the tube.
  3. L

Cut normal to curve

I think I got it though there may be a better way, I extended the line from the center to the inside wall to the plane where the ellipse is drawn to dimension the ellipse, then made a .002 x .527 ellipse on the centerline and did a cut loft through. Not sure if that's the best way but it seems...
  4. L

Cut normal to curve

I'm trying to model a tube with a laser cut profile through the side. The tube OD is 1.125 with an .035 wall and I need a .527 hole through. To get the .527 dimension the laser would need to cut an ellipse .527 x .589, how can that be done.
  5. L

Extrude to Next not working

Yeah, that's it, if I followed it correctly, it can't be done in an assembly of existing parts.
  6. L

I knew that! :confused::)
  7. L

I am trying to extrude to a part in an assembly, is that not possible or am I missing something? I'm trying to get the NPT boss to extrude to next but can only get it to extrude to geometry.
  8. L

Tangent Constraint arc to ellipse

Thanks for the efforts everyone, I will send it to Support and see if there is any way to do it or if it's an upgrade that is needed/planned.
  9. L

I was looking at it again, it may not be possible because the shoe has a different radius than any part of the elliptical interior of the body. Does that make sense or is there a workaround that might make it work? LaVerne
  10. L

I have a new problem. I'm trying to get an external arc to run tangent to the inside of an ellipse. I've tried as many different ways of selecting the surfaces as I can think of but can never get the curves to run tangent. The best I've ever been able o get is the internal, external radius...
  11. L

Importing curve or point data

I got the 2D script to work, the rotation angle(line 9) and origin(line 10) and the path to the .csv file(line 12) have to be changed in the script, when I do that, I get a profile. No Z coordinate is needed.
  12. L

Yes, that's the one and I found it's also in the 3D section. My issue now is, what is the proper format to have Alibre read it. From my understanding it needs a .csv format, text file, I've tried the following and it didn't work, both as a .csv and as a .txt file; X0,Y0.781 X0.0136,Y0.7809...
  13. L

I recognize that this is an old thread but is this capability still in Alibre, I couldn't find it, I've had a couple of instances where it would have been useful??
  14. L

Script Release: Update Table_to_3DPoints_forum_V03

After all of that I found I could use the 'Insert from File' function and do everything in about 30 seconds. o_Oo_O
  15. L

Script Release: Update Table_to_3DPoints_forum_V03

And figure out how to make it into a solid cam with thickness or at least be able to plot the line segments or polyline to a 2D format that I know how to work with!:confused: